AuthorTopic: Red bites Green[C+C appreciated]  (Read 5493 times)

Offline Gemini166

• Professional Pixel Mutilator
    • View Profile

Red bites Green[C+C appreciated]

on: March 29, 2011, 11:10:06 pm
I was lurking around the forums and saw this.
Red/Green is generally not a good idea for AA because they are complimentary, so they "bite" each other somewhat. That is why the greys work so well, they are neutral.

Also you could use some of the green to AA the outer circle a bit more.
The part about red and green "biting" formed a weird image in my head.

The original plan was for Green to also be biting Red's arm, but I love how distressed it looks, so I'm keeping it.
Oh, and I love getting better at pixeling, so any C+C is greatly appreciated.

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Re: Red bites Green[C+C appreciated]

Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 11:18:12 pm
If you want the green guy to read 'spherical', don't shade/highlight only along the outline of the form (right now, he looks more like a disk). Same goes with the teeth.

Offline TheChannel

• Sky Rockets in Flight, Afternoon Delight.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 11:29:54 pm
Make a sloppy edit on what i think needed to be fixed.

I just changed a few things like the shadow near the eye and now it looks like a bite happened.
Few little minor things.

Offline StaticSails

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 03:09:44 am

RED:
I have no idea what I was doing with the teeth. Gave him some crazy eyes.
GREEN:
Got green wincing in pain. Changed his mouth

Played with the colors a little bit.

Offline Gemini166

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 03:47:22 pm
@Mush: I understand what you're saying, but green's face is so busy I don't know where to put any more shading.
@TheChannel: I changed the shadows around green's eyes, but your bite seems a little too violent. I'm going for more of a gnawing. My fault though, I did name the thread Red bites Green.
@StaticSails: Those eyes are much better than mine. *yoink* But I don't want green to look like he's in pain; just uncomfortable and alarmed.
Here's my edit:

Things I changed:
implemented TheChannel's shading on green's eyes
changed the wrinkles on green's head(I'm afraid they might look more like cracks; they're supposed to be kinda stretch-ish)
changed red's eyes to look more like StaticSails's edit. also rearranged the face a little
changed red's teeth.
changed the darkest and lightest red colors(I think I still need to mess with the other colors some, but this is what I have for now.)

I'm afraid I might have lost some of the original crazyness I was going for with red. If I have enough fun with this I might animate it.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 02:30:36 pm
@Mush: I understand what you're saying, but green's face is so busy I don't know where to put any more shading.
@TheChannel: I changed the shadows around green's eyes, but your bite seems a little too violent. I'm going for more of a gnawing. My fault though, I did name the thread Red bites Green.
@StaticSails: Those eyes are much better than mine. *yoink* But I don't want green to look like he's in pain; just uncomfortable and alarmed.
Here's my edit:

Things I changed:
implemented TheChannel's shading on green's eyes
changed the wrinkles on green's head(I'm afraid they might look more like cracks; they're supposed to be kinda stretch-ish)
changed red's eyes to look more like StaticSails's edit. also rearranged the face a little
changed red's teeth.
changed the darkest and lightest red colors(I think I still need to mess with the other colors some, but this is what I have for now.)

I'm afraid I might have lost some of the original crazyness I was going for with red. If I have enough fun with this I might animate it.
Mush means lose the bright green strip on the right side. That especially is what makes him look disklike

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 02:06:20 am
This is how you are shading:

This is how you should shade:

Offline StaticSails

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 04:22:08 am
Mush, that's my favorite post I've seen in a while. Thank you.

Why is the inside of your green's mouth light?

Offline Gemini166

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 10:56:24 pm
Another edit:

I have made an attempt to remove the frisbee shading and replace it with sphere shading. But I'm afraid it looks like he's got face paint on now.
I changed the boundary between red's teeth and green so it looks like red's doing more than just resting his teeth on green.
I added an extra shade of red and tried to apply it in a manner that doesn't make me look like a doofus. Was I successful?

And @StaticSails: The inside of green's mouth is light for no greater reason than I have no idea what I want his mouth to look like. I think I'll start messing with that next.

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 11:30:48 pm
I can barely tell the difference between your darkest and lightest colors. In other words it needs a lot more contrast.