AuthorTopic: DOOM Art Series  (Read 2864 times)

Offline Caleb Hystad

• Animation Director / Game Developer
    • View Profile
    • 8x8pixels

DOOM Art Series

on: March 14, 2011, 08:03:27 pm
I'm working on two series of pixel images inspired by DOOM and DOOM II character / enemies.  My style is to usually go pretty low on the pixel count.

Here's 1/11 of the first series.

Let me know what you think.

- caleb

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: DOOM Art Series

Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 07:55:53 am
Urg... Lots of noise, which seems a pretty NPA effect. It's cool but makes it seem like some sort of compressed scaled up image, like a JPEG. Oh, JPEGs...

Onto the actual spriting, the character's quite easy to read especially considering the low pixel count. I instantly recognized it as a tanned guy in a green shirt carrying a large gun and wearing a helmet. Correct me if I'm wrong at any aspect.
The portrait, on the other hand, I didn't quite know what it was at first. I knew it was supposed to be a face, it just didn't look like one. Same for the blue blobbish things. (What are those, anyway?) So I did a quick edit, starting first with recreating the image smallscale, which was the hardest part I have to say. I also made some tiny palette tweaks, rly tiny. Mostly reducing the number of colors by minuscule amounts and adding some things here and there to the image, hue shifting + a bit of antialiasing (not sure if you wanted that since it's quite noticable when zoomed in but also easy to get rid of). I also tried to... fix the banding in some places...

Now I know how hard it is to work with such a small level of pixels without giving up the things you're not supposed to do large scale. But it was worth a shot, no?

ALSO in black!

Just noticed, "DOOM" starts to read as "BOOK" at that size...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 08:05:21 am by pistachio »

Offline Demian

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 01:38:05 pm
looking at pistachio edit at actual size, numbers can not be read over that background, yellow and grey dots (beside the portrait) are hard to distinguish one from the other.
^^

Offline Caleb Hystad

• Animation Director / Game Developer
    • View Profile
    • 8x8pixels

Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 07:41:34 pm
My bad on the gradient and noise. I'll take those off for posting.  The series is for print so I'm keeping the contrast somewhat mid-range. They won't be used at less than 500%.

pistachio - I really like what you did with the border. I might work something similar in there, and the text does pop on the dark grey bg.

Here's the "Space Marine" without all that noise.

and the second in the series,
"Former Human"