AuthorTopic: [WIP] Boss Monsters  (Read 6759 times)

Offline Lazy Brain Games

• View Profile
    • Lazy Brain Games

[WIP] Boss Monsters

on: February 12, 2011, 01:25:23 am
I'm near completing 2 of the 3 bosses for an upcoming game, so thought I'd post them up for some critique :) I'm still learning, but I like to think this is an improvement over my previous games. At this point, I'm stuck with the palette I've chosen, which is this...

I'm hoping this palette won't hurt anyone's eyes too much!

Here's the straight image of one of the bosses, the classic eyeball boss...

And here he is in the game (obviously there's some issues with the HUD :P)

This one still has a couple of problem areas, but I'm interested in any glaring issues you might be able to find ;)

This other one, I'm not quite sure what it's supposed to be yet lol.I'm just calling him "Boss 1" at this point :P

Boss 1 in-game...

Love it? Hate it? Let me know! :D I'd like to get a feel for how close these are to done before I start on the final boss.

-Johnny B.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: [WIP] Boss Monsters

Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 02:08:58 am
I like how it looks, very reminiscent of old arcade games and stuff like mega drive/pc engine and such.

The biggest problem IMO is your palette. It is very unoptimised.
Do you need 3 colours which are almost black? Do you need that really dark green? Do you need that eggshell colour which is very close to the yellow actually? Do the darker red and the lighter blue need to be so saturated? Why only one grey?

Greys are awesome as buffer shades and you could probably use 3 or so greys, or at least 2. And I would make one of those near black colours full black.

I would say try and tweak the palette some more before doing more art and then refit the done art to the new palette.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Lazy Brain Games

• View Profile
    • Lazy Brain Games

Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 02:22:14 am
Unfortunately, I'm past the point of no return with this palette :( Too much artwork has already been created. But, I was kind of thinking ahead and trying to formulate the palette for this game specifically. This is a 3-part series, the second of which is plant filled, so the dark green will be the main background color in that one.

Admittedly, the colors are garish, but for a game like this I'm crossing my fingers that players will forgive my lack of color knowledge (luckily no players have noticed my crazy palettes yet lol). You're totally right about the grays, they're extremely useful!

Next time around I'll be sure to get some more grays in there lol. Thanks for the reply!

Offline devinode

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 03:53:41 am
This really takes my eyes on a trip. It really is interesting and arcade esque, as earlier mentioned. I wish that I had something to contribute, but seeing that your skill is beyond mine, I'll just applaud     :crazy:

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 05:09:31 am
Unfortunately, I'm past the point of no return with this palette :( Too much artwork has already been created. . .

It's pixel art. If you slapped a bunch of your art into one document (I don't know what prog you use) and conducted palette edit tests, like ptoing is suggesting, and got to watch how the edits affected your game art in real-time, and the edits required no actual re-pixelling edits to your tiles and sprites it may be WELL worth the effort. Going back and doing palette swaps on pixel art isn't that tough. I'm sure you have many individual files to deal with.

It's an investment VS returns issue is all. Is the time/effort investment worth it?  I suspect it is. ptoing is probably the guy I'd go to for palette suggestions, it seems to be one of his strengths, so try to take his advice seriously. ptoing is also the guy I'd to go if I wanted to smack someone around, btw.

. . .we both have brainatars. . .

Offline Lazy Brain Games

• View Profile
    • Lazy Brain Games

Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 05:53:27 am
Well, I will admit I do feel silly asking for advice and then not listening lol. Although, most of my resistance to a new color palette stems from the fact that I'm desperately trying to get this game completed, I have 2 more to make after this one!

I think the best course for me will be to get this game into Alpha before I re-tweak any of the colors. When I posted this, I was more interested in if things "read" right, or if there was a lighting problem or something. But things always seem to go back to the palette. For some reason this still surprises me :P

I really respect your guys' opinions and appreciate you taking the time to try and guide a noob like myself. I'm just kind of crunching to get this game out the door. But you're totally right, I gotta work on the palette to make the visuals pop a little more ;)

Once most of the artwork is populated, I'll post a master image with everything, and then take it from there. At least that way if I have to rework things, it can all be done at once.

Thanks for your help!

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 06:31:07 am
No, I didn't think you weren't listening. It's not like if you go to a crit forum you're obligated to do everything everyone tells you to do. Not at all.

I'd love to see ptoing do a color edit on your stuff, he could comp the stuff in this thread and in yer other thread together and make global adjustments using his ptoingliness. How about it, ptoing? Maybe you can create the pal for his next game.

But, really, for the record, I loved these gfx from the 1st time I saw 'em. Not often is a dev brave (or crazy?) enough to make a whole game with a pal like this. The pal alone automatically imbues the game with a degree of originality. That's a great thing.
Now, aesthetics is one thing. But function another. You've heard the phrase 'form over function'. That's bad. If your game hearkens to form over function it means you've favored looks over functionality - playability, visual readability (does the user char get lost in the crazy high-contrast bg tiles, are projectiles hard to see and track with your eye because they get lost in the colorful chaos, etc?), well-tuned game mechanics, controls, etc.

I don't care how amazing any game looks, if it's annoying to play, I hit the 'X' button. I'll look at screenshots on the web instead if the art is worthy.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 08:15:54 am by Mathias »

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 08:00:00 am
I feel like you should pay attention to the value range, too. It needs a better buffer between the current highlights and shadows. Maybe the second-to-brightest red should be darker? I feel intermediate values could help flesh out the mockup like a scene, giving depth and weight to your shapes.

It would be a shame to be "stuck" with the palette. I'm sure a few common color transplants would look good on all the art you've done on this project so far.

Offline Lazy Brain Games

• View Profile
    • Lazy Brain Games

Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 08:21:05 am
Well, I was kind of on a streak, so I started the last boss. So, I think just doing all the artwork at this point makes sense. Once it's all done, I can go back sometime between Alpha and Beta to get some more mid-range stuff goin'. Once I polish off these bosses, there isn't too much else besides some cutscene stuff ;)

While he's an anatomical nightmare for sure, I do like the rib cage so far ;) Although he kinda looks like he's coming out of a birth canal or something, not sure if I want to make this game THAT freaky lol. This boss is going to have a few different phases, so there's going to be a bit more besides this, but this is definitely the "money shot" for me lol.

Thanks again everyone!

-Johnny B.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 08:23:54 am by Lazy Brain Games »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 09:20:19 am
How is your screen calibrated? Are you sure we're looking at the same thing you're looking at when you work at it? I mainly messed with the values of your colors just so I can see what's going on. These are some strange color choices. Not that I don't like them, but they need extra care to convey the shapes you're trying to convey.