AuthorTopic: epic cyborg mustache man.  (Read 3688 times)

Offline varis

• View Profile

epic cyborg mustache man.

on: February 07, 2011, 08:12:52 am
Hey! It's been a while, hi! I made a little pice a while ago but I have this nagging feeling that it's not quite good enough. I don't know. Is it just me or is there something wrong with it?

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: epic cyborg mustache man.

Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 07:40:50 pm
I don't like all the bland grey usage.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 08:38:39 pm
I don't like all the bland grey usage.

Good for you Mathias. How about telling him what to do about it?

varis: you could use tinted greys, which in most cases look better. Also the midgrey, green, dark grey gradient on the cape does not really work because the lighter grey and the green are virtually identical in value.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 05:06:28 am
Sven, you just need to get out of your attic more often. Nobody was commenting on his sprite, so I pointed out my biggest complaint and at the same time expressed the negative effect I thought it had, in one concise sentence. Is not the OBVIOUS thing to do about it to use different colors??? Next time I'll ignore his request for C&C like everyone else. PUNK SCHNITZEL!!!

Furthermore, the cape . . . it kinda reminds of how as younger kid I'd draw characters conveniently standing in a hole or behind a wall in order to avoid having to draw their entire body. The character here is fairly interesting so I automatically want to see his entire body and the masking cape feels unnecessary. If you don't want to rework this sprite that much, how about a little cloth upgrade - give that cape a more realistic flowy cloth appearance, some actual wrinkles, rather than those evenly spaced creases; almost looks rubber.

Colors. You sure you need 20? Not that big of a sprite. Notice you've invested the largest orangey ramp to the smallest parts of the sprite. Ought to be the other way around.

Random idea: insignia logo on cape.

Offline varis

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 10:04:06 am
Furthermore, the cape . . . it kinda reminds of how as younger kid I'd draw characters conveniently standing in a hole or behind a wall in order to avoid having to draw their entire body. The character here is fairly interesting so I automatically want to see his entire body and the masking cape feels unnecessary. If you don't want to rework this sprite that much, how about a little cloth upgrade - give that cape a more realistic flowy cloth appearance, some actual wrinkles, rather than those evenly spaced creases; almost looks rubber.

Colors. You sure you need 20? Not that big of a sprite. Notice you've invested the largest orangey ramp to the smallest parts of the sprite. Ought to be the other way around.

I know about the cape. I just have no idea of how to DRAW a good cape. And don't worry, I can rework the sprite, just tell me how to draw the damn cape. Also, I think it would be ok to make his legs/stomach visible. I don't know about the colors. I was mostly looking at Jin and DawnBringers works and they use a lot of colors. I didn't know I had 20, I thought I had 18.

Random idea: insignia logo on cape.

Not a chance. The whole idea is that he will never corrode children's brains by being forever after put in tv-shows(Though it is tempting.)

Offline Im King Louie

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 05:37:20 pm
Right now his cape looks pleated.  Is that what you were going for?

You might want to rework it by figuring out where his arm is under the cape and draping the cape around his arm.  Put creases where he's gripping the cape.