AuthorTopic: Shading  (Read 10956 times)

Offline what

• View Profile

Re: Shading

Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 12:14:44 am
Thanks for all the crits.

Cure, which lines on the neck, the highlights or the black ones?

Offline Geti

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 02:50:18 am
The black ones.

Your anatomy is... fucked up, to say the least.  Get some refs, and before progressing do some shading practice on generic shapes, like cylinders and prisms and cubes etc. Learn to shade before trying to apply it to a piece you're already fumbling the anatomy on ;)

Offline what

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 12:38:28 am
Aaaight!!!!!!!!!!
New less-fucked up anatomy. (hopefully):

the arms are rough right now and are 100% open to change, so is the face.... and the shadows....

Offline what

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 08:59:40 pm
Here's the newest one, only minor details. sorry for bumping the post up AND for double posting

i think its a little better.... but not as good as it can be...
how could i make the arms look smoother?

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 09:14:08 pm
head is still entirely too small for the body. using refs? could you post them so we see what you're following/aspiring to?
the last pair of ribs meets the sternum just below the center of the chest. the rib lines you've drawn, and the upside down u shape that looks like it indicates the bottom of the ribcage, is just above his belly button. Keep the skeletal structure in mind. in fact, a skeleton should ideally be one of your references.
there's no definition in the arms. know where the deltoids, biceps, triceps, etc are so you'll know what to shade.
neck doesn't make much sense. learn the muscles of the neck. deltoids meet the trapezius, trapezius travlels upwards (primarily up the back), and meets the muscles of the "neck" themselves. the dip in the center of the neck is the point between the clavicles (collar bones). as such, it's high- it should sit lower than the top of the shoulders, with the clavicles running along to sit atop the shoulders.

reference, reference, reference
then check the how the separate parts of the anatomy relate to one another in regards to size and distance
repeat

Offline what

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 01:08:46 am
I used more references this time around!  :D

Beginning:                    After:   

The game is actually played at 400x zoom, so at this size, some shit won't matter....  :crazy:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 01:17:59 am by what »

Offline StaticSails

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 01:49:24 am
The game is actually played at 400x zoom, so at this size, some shit won't matter....  :crazy:
[sarcasm]In that case what you've got now will work fine.[/sarcasm]

Can you show us what you've got for references? It seems you're either ignoring them or have TERRIBLE references. I'm thinking it's the former.

I think you really need to just keep working at this for a while. Sketch things on paper for practice.
If you can't draw someone on paper I doubt you'll be able to draw it in a restrictive medium like pixel art. Your shading seems arbitrary, as does the anatomy.

Do you need help on using references? That might be your biggest issue. If you give us some links to your references and tell us what you tried to do we just might be able to set this train wreck back on track.

Offline what

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 09:22:27 pm
and

I can draw things like this on paper.

The things that i'm seeing that are wrong:
The waist is too thin. Neck is too sloped. Shading sucks.
Anything i'm missing that you see?

How would I go about shading this better?

sorry for sucking....  :D
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 09:31:15 pm by what »

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 09:43:25 pm
Good refs, but why aren’t you following them? See the skeleton’s ribcage? That upside-down u-shape reaches its highest point at about the chest. You have ribs all the way down to the belly button.
Notice how under-developed your hips are. It’s a gigantic bone, that flares out wide, away from the body. The ribcage and the pelvis are the two most massive parts of the torso, the waist should cinch between the two.
The muscles of the neck don’t form a volcano-shape. The neck is roughly a cylinder, which flares out into the trapezius muscles.
The arm is still one big noodle. Where is the nape of the arm? Where is the bicep? Where does the upper arm end, and the forearm begin?

more refs: 1 2
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 09:45:18 pm by Cure »

Offline what

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 10:43:00 pm
Thank you so much. Edits coming soon.

[EDIT] boom.

sorry this one took so long. ive had tons of stuff going on recently.  :crazy:

the shading on the arms is still a little arbitrary and gross, but i think its a step in the right direction
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 08:53:32 pm by what »