AuthorTopic: Gorr the Barbarian  (Read 9522 times)

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Re: Gorr the Barbarian

Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 09:39:50 pm
I hate to break this to you because I know a lot of work was put in this..
No. Crit away even if it looks like the thing took half a lifetime to make. In fact, especially then. :P

When I animate I always try out the movement myself first. Even if it's some gravity defying loco-stuff I have no chance to pull off in reality I still try to perform it in my head so to speak. And well yeah.. with the legs positioned like that, knees bent and all, the rear-foot-forward thing just felt more natural to me. Imo it's also easier that way to create a cycling shuffle-walk from this kind of standing position without adding extra, play first-time only frames to it.

Something about the right (his) Quad muscle seems a bit invented. Try getting some references.

Agree on that, I'll look closer at some muscly refs  :y:

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Re: Gorr the Barbarian

Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 07:56:29 pm

This is worth at least a thousand words.

Honestly though, I don't think the sprite needs to be 100% anatomically accurate. Get the basic forms right, and I think the rest can be artistic interpretation. If some definition is in the wrong place, it's not really hurting the message the sprite is communicating. The point is, he's a beast, and your sprite conveys that well.

I also echo Mathias' suggestion. If you make the arms move at a different rate than the rest of the torso, it will add depth to the sprite. Otherwise it looks like his arms are stuck to his torso. Some fighting game idle loops illustrate this principle well. You could try making his arms bounce 2 pixels when his torso bounces 1, or delay the arms so when the torso rises, the arms stay low for a frame before they catch up (then when his torso lowers, his arms stay up for a frame). Make sense?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 08:01:11 pm by big brother »