AuthorTopic: Forest Background WIP C&C!  (Read 4187 times)

Offline Jakerpot

• View Profile

Forest Background WIP C&C!

on: December 24, 2010, 03:49:51 am
Hey kids, i'm making this fantasy forest scene, but i don't know if it is getting good. Surely it isn't as awesome as i wanted, but that's what i got for now.
So, what do you think?  :)

I will improve the outlines later, of course.

Bye, and coment please!

Offline FRAWG

• Ribbit Ribbit
    • View Profile

Re: Forest Background WIP C&C!

Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 08:51:26 pm
It looks really really nice, but I am having a hard time trying to find the light source... The hole in the already shaded stump is what is confusing me

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 01:07:29 am
Get all of the colours out there in some kind of state so you get a feel for your composition!
' _ '

Offline Jakerpot

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 03:03:43 pm
@Frawg: Yeah, i got a little confused while making this part... I think i better place some light source reference in the screen, just to get it better in the future.

@Jad:  You mean to give the impression of a mood? I think it would be something like happiness or life, you know.

Now i got an update, i think the part upon the tree hole is too much defined against the lowest part, maybe i should take care of this... Wadouthink?

Also, i gonna make a wip gif animation in the end. Many MANY frames...

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 10:41:35 pm
You're making a big mistake. Jad alluded to it - You ought to be working on the entire thing at once, progressively detailing and refining things equally as you go, at least in this early stage. DO NOT tunnel-vision focus on just the tree in the left.

Block in everything. Get the right general colors and lighting done, THEN fully detail everything out.

Offline Jakerpot

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 05:25:51 am
You're making a big mistake. Jad alluded to it - You ought to be working on the entire thing at once, progressively detailing and refining things equally as you go, at least in this early stage. DO NOT tunnel-vision focus on just the tree in the left.

Block in everything. Get the right general colors and lighting done, THEN fully detail everything out.

Yeah yeah, but i wanted to do the tree first ><
The rest is so boring...
Joking. I will have to face it sooner or later, better sooner i think.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 06:22:39 am
I know how you feel, trust me.
But, I often try to reality check myself, because I get carried away, too. For instance, if I was doing this one I'd tell myself right now that I'm barely 10% done with it, and am I willing to even continue?
Your forest scene is quite large. I hope you have the endurance necessary to actually complete it. Careful not to make choices early that demoralize yourself later.

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 08:00:41 am
Yeah yeah, but i wanted to do the tree first ><

There is no way I could do anything with the tree without first getting the primary colors down for the rest of the image. Not a matter of wanting to or not, I just couldn't. It would create disharmony in the finished picture.

Here is a good example of art progression:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk2sPl_Z7ZU

Offline Jakerpot

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 04:08:53 pm
You all are right guys, and i admit it. Now i started to develop the rest of the scene, not just the tree.
Now almost everything have colours and basic shadows...

My main concern is the light source, the picture make you think that the light source is on the right, but i thought it would be interesting to make it right-top. Do you think is good the way it is or should i change it?

Thanks!