AuthorTopic: Absolute beginning at pixeling... trying some tiles :)  (Read 3914 times)

Offline Eponasoft

• View Profile

Absolute beginning at pixeling... trying some tiles :)

on: December 22, 2010, 08:17:37 am
So I was chattin' with Red_Mist on IRC today... probably the best thing I've done in awhile because I was pointed in the direction of some great example tiles which helped me out tremendously. As a result of said conversation, I managed to pixel together these small examples of pixel bricks...

The colors are limited because of the 9 bit color encoder I'm working with... I know these aren't much compared to some of y'alls work 'round these parts but hey, I'm a coder by trade and I got about as much right brain as Palin has whole brain, plus I'm just getting started. So... whaddya think? :)

Offline Brotha_C

• View Profile

Re: Absolute beginning at pixeling... trying some tiles :)

Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 03:36:36 pm
I'm not exactly a pro at pixeling  :) (I'm new), but I've been reading up on tiles lately (I intend to eventually make a computer game) and one thing you could do is draw up a couple alternate tiles that will still fit seamlessly into the grid and have these tiles show different features, such as cracked bricks for example. Looks pretty good to me though!

Offline Eponasoft

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 06:35:12 pm
Yep, variations are the next step. :) I've never taken studying other pixel art so seriously until now... so I'm looking at ways of expanding my brick patterns to make them look... less patterny. :)

Oh, and if anyone wants to use these tiles, feel free... they are public domain.

Offline Brotha_C

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 10:13:19 pm
This might help you then. http://www.androidblues.com/visualperception.html It talks about how the human eye views an image and how if it is too uniform (like those bricks at the moment) it gets quite uncomfortable to look at.
Here's a tutorial on tiles: http://www.alexhw.com/pabbc4.pdf It's by Alex Hanson-White. He has four more tuts, also on pixeling. You can probably find the links for the others in the Tools, Resources, and Linkage thread: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=3467.0

Happy pixeling!  ;D

Offline Eponasoft

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 03:56:47 am
Cool, thanks for the links. :)

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 10:43:28 pm
Well, from what I see here, you have a lot of potential to become a great spriter.As others have said, variation is the next step in your learning process, and I'm excited to see what you come up with next.

Offline Eponasoft

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 03:24:58 pm
OK so I've used some of these tiles in our production. Here's how things are turning out so far:

Some variant tiles in there as well. The big crack in the wall that looks like a spider was removed because it just wasn't working out.

At least I'm getting the hang of doing bricks. Maybe other things will get easier too. :)