AuthorTopic: Pro-Tip #1: Want a job? Make friends.  (Read 5919 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Pro-Tip #1: Want a job? Make friends.

on: December 22, 2010, 01:45:11 am
Just wanted to give you guys a quick tip for getting work.

At my job, I'm constantly on the lookout for contractors.  A lot of companies don't want to risk hiring another full-time body, so they'll look to their art lead to manage contractors for them.  Honestly, the first place I look anytime we need a contractor is in my own contact lists.  It's really a last resort for me to start posting in the jobs forum or contact people I don't know.  So here's a tip: If you really want a good chance of getting contract gigs, make friends with people who are in a position to give them.  Be available, friendly, and good at what you do, and you'll most likely not have to look far for a stable work-schedule.  -and this often leads to full-time positions as well.

-Dan
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 02:05:07 am by Indigo »

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: Pro-Tip #1: Want a job? Make friends.

Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 02:47:10 am
I wish I was a more stable/impressive artist. I'd love to get paid for some pixel art but it's just not something I feel I could do reliably :/

This is a good suggestion though :) The friends I do know that get into pixel commissions and stuff tend to ask me to help when they need it.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 03:16:41 am by Dusty »

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 08:18:07 am
Hey, Dan, mind if I add you on MSN? ::)

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/13899.htm
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile
    • ArgyleBox | Designs by Valouria Saurus (VERY OUTDATED)

Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 04:14:53 pm
As a Public Service Announcement, I took a page out of the Animaniacs-style of advisory and made the following diagram to help you on your journey to the wide world of networking!

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 03:58:34 am
I'm far from being a very successful artist here, I don't get nearly the amount of work I'd like, but I can definitely say that good manners and some jokes go a long way with some people. Also, getting a good job done ahead of schedule will probably earn you bonus points as well.

Oh, and hi dan~  :-*

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 08:01:40 pm
I agree. I got my current full time job through a recommendation of a guy I knew on a comic art board. When I was a freelance (non-pixel art) illustrator for a couple of years most of my job offers came via friends I'd studied with or people I knew on the comic forums. It was like 60% good contacts, 40% skill. Building up a reputation for never missing a deadline also helps.

Offline 2hackx

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 12:38:31 pm
Yeah, network is really good. You must maintain a rich connection between you and your friends as one day, it might go big and you might be influential.

I suck at it because I am a basement dweller. I am still trying to build it my network of friends.
Architecture is basically a container of something. I hope they will enjoy not so much the teacup, but the tea.

paintings for sale | artwork for sale

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 03:15:12 pm
I must agree, but erm >_< I beleive artist tend to be lone wolves, they try to improve or just draw, not talk or meet people >-<. atleast thats my perception, whenever I  am at the chat people don't talk that much, they prefer to draw than be talkative..

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 04:56:17 pm
Doesn't go for me, I love talking and meeting people. Well, then again I draw way little, despite wanting to work in the field.

But I got my first gig cause I hung out at this forum and thus got noticed by people, so I can only agree with the original thesis.

Also, "being a lone" wolf is a pretty bad excuse for never networking. Maybe there's an issue that goes deeper than just the self perception as 'lone-wolf', but if it's nothing more then just post an art piece, add someone you like from this forum to the MSNs and just be the littlest bit visible, it's sure to help.
' _ '

Offline linx

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 09:51:01 pm
Eh.  I love meeting and talking to other artists  ;D. For some reason im way more talkative around other people who can draw/paint and such  :P.  And this is yet another couple of artists ive heard talking about making friends to get jobs.  I guess this really does hold true in the long run  :-\