AuthorTopic: FFT spritework  (Read 20548 times)

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Re: FFT spritework

Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 10:31:03 pm
Well, it's for a project, right? I feel I need some kind of clarification there. I mean, if it's for a project there is actual merit in mimicking style; if the goal is to modify the game in a way that tricks the player into feeling as though the original developers made the modifications, then mimicking the original style is a means to achieve it.

In my opinion it's reversed. If he's doing this for a serious project then he should deliberately change the style, otherwise people will look at it and say "didn't this guy just copy so and so", and won't take it as seriously.

On the other hand if he's just drawing to get better then it's perfectly fine to imitate art that he likes. We all learned to draw that way ( at least I did ), and doing art he likes will hold his interest long enough for him to develop basic drawing skills. At that point he will naturally want to branch out into his own style. It's kind of like training wheels. Once you learn to balance on a bike why would you leave the training wheels on? They just hold you back at that point.

When you imitate someone elses art you are at the same time studying how they do things and learning to draw in general. Perfectly natural in my opinion. Style comes later at a subconscious level once you've learned the basics, and you don't have to try, it will just develop at that point. By the basics I don't mean the basics you learn in art class, but the basics before that point ( like putting a pen against some paper and making a line ).

Offline Kagebunji

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: December 18, 2010, 08:29:38 pm
People on FFH asked me if I could ask you to join our site. It would surely aid us to have as skilled apriters as all of you. I am just asking because I am sure you would do something amazing with FFT sprites, just like Smash did. I don't wanna link the site directly for some purposes, just type in Google ffhacktics and you should find us. Once you join, contact me or Lijj, we will get you around, hehe.

Offline Kagebunji

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: December 19, 2010, 05:07:59 pm
So far I am at the fifth booklet, and I managed to do FF6 sprite, I didn't have many ideas, so I just altered the base he did into something slightly different. I am currently studying the isometric art, and that really seems hard... Anyway, I wanted to ask if there are more booklets, since there wasn't much about sprites, and practicly nothing about portraits(these two are most important to me, heh). If not, perhaps someone could recomend some other nice tutorials like this one?

Also, the FF6 sprite(it could be better, I know, but like I said, I had no nice ideas)

Offline Kagebunji

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 04:23:32 pm
So, no one has a single tutorial that could help me? Things that interest me most are ofcourse portraits and sprites etc. made from scratch.

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: January 06, 2011, 01:39:38 am
If there is nothing in the tutorial section then just make something and post it on the forums. We'll critique it and then you'll learn from that. That's all I can think of.

Here is some art stuff I have in my bookmarks, it applies to pixel art as well.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=201665

This guy has a bunch of photoshop drawing tutorials on his website. Some of it slightly anime style if your into that.

http://www.idrawgirls.com/

Offline Smash

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: January 06, 2011, 08:05:56 pm
Hey Kage

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=201665

Oh shit, this is way too helpful. A million thanks

I guess I could contribute back with a sketch I did showing "correct" FFT anatomy -Helps in understanding the people here coming from FFT land-
Click at your own risk:
http://i54.tinypic.com/14cefti.jpg
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 11:42:01 pm by Smash »

Offline Smash

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: January 06, 2011, 11:37:58 pm
Skeleton study for the lulz (Taking break from real anatomy)
http://i54.tinypic.com/a0ii6p.jpg

That be it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 11:41:32 pm by Smash »

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #27 on: January 06, 2011, 11:53:11 pm
Holyshit! You're so great Smash. For a casual sketch this is excellent. Both of them. But the skeleton is just neat.

Offline Smash

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: January 07, 2011, 12:05:22 am
Not to hijack thread, but having all these FFT drawings being done, there had to be a ref to use.

Offline Kagebunji

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: January 07, 2011, 05:13:13 pm
Thanks, EvilEye, idrawgirls.com will surely come in handy. I should have something nice dony tomorrow, if all goes well. And long time no see, Smash. Make sure to visit us on FFH and tell us you still live after the hurricane, hehe.

Um, idrawgirls.com requires me to pay to use the tutorials? I can't afford that, haha. It's mostly about drawing anyway, not pixeling play. I found some strange tutorial there too called "naked manga girls drawing"... I am not interested in this kinda thing, heh.

Oh, and does anyone know how to make sprites SMALLER without making them blurry? Because Paint makes them very blurry and bad looking when I make sprites smaller.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 05:38:26 pm by Kagebunji »