AuthorTopic: [WIP] My first pixel art ever.  (Read 7765 times)

Offline Toyoto

• View Profile

[WIP] My first pixel art ever.

on: December 14, 2010, 08:35:25 am
Hi

I never did anything before at pixel art so what I'm posting here is my first work ever.
A friend and me are making a game in flash. He programs, I do the graphics. The game will look as an old Gameboy one. The problem is that I feel myself very limited with a 4 colour palette and such small sprite sizes, so sometimes I feel that what I have done could be better.
So I basically need some C+C and advices. So far I made the main character walking animation sprites and some tiles. I feel myself even more limited with tiles. These are 8x8 pixels but they can be any 8 multiple.

Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 12:56:54 am by Toyoto »

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Re: [WIP] My first pixel art ever.

Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 09:36:56 pm
Wow only 4 colors would be an interesting challenge. Any more tiles or animations?

Offline Happy Troll

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 11:44:08 pm
I can barely see the shading on the suit, you might want to try darkening the colour.

Offline Toyoto

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 01:37:37 pm
well, the sprite has all the 4 colours I can use. It's pretty hard (for me at least) to make it more detailed with that size limitation. (16x16) But well you realized it's a suit. That's something :)

Offline Toyoto

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 11:11:56 pm
Tried some variations. I think the first version posted looks better.

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/18544.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 11:34:14 am
4 colours with transparency? Are you actually using a gamboy pallet or have you made this pallet.  Like this one for example:

If not, maybe you could up the contrast and just play around with the hues a bit.

Offline Toyoto

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 02:44:31 pm
Yeah one just like that and transparency. My friend in fact, sent me a screenshot of a demake of Bioshock in a gameboy style which was posted here as reference for the palette.

Besides the colour issue, am I going in the right direction?

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/18544.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 04:10:59 pm
Yeah Sure. However, with such a small size and very little knowledge of your game, we're left to interpret what you've created. Everybody interprets things in a different way, I might see your character as a astronaut, somebody else might see it as a baby, but only you know its a mythical moon monster with a banjo. Get what I'm saying?  What is the sprite, what's the basic story line or/and what will the character be doing. Create a mock up so we can better understand it.

I'm not sure how the tiles will look, you might find it looks a bit busy. Try to create a mock up, it'll help you and us to see how the tiles are working together and help us see what you want to achieve. Other than that there's not much anybody can say. Other than contrast in colours that is.

Oh, on the sprite, the backpack and the arm sometimes look like there one, which is a bit odd.

Offline Toyoto

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 08:01:07 pm
Well, yeah, forgot to explain it a bit.  :blind:

The game consists in recovering the pieces of your destroyed spaceship through the planets of the solar system. It'll be a standard plattform game. It's name will be Gagarin so yeah it's an astronaut and the backpack is a jetpack.

Don't mind the background, just did it quickly for this kind of mockups
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 09:09:49 pm by Toyoto »

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 09:25:31 pm
I want to play this.. if he has a jet pack I'm sure it'll be lots of fun.. I like the original palette myself