AuthorTopic: Texturing help + critique needed  (Read 5606 times)

Offline Cilein

• Pixel <3
    • View Profile

Texturing help + critique needed

on: December 04, 2010, 10:17:12 pm
Hey there, I'm looking to make a jelly texture for part of a piece I'm working on. I'm going to animate it to wibble-wobble once I have a good idea of the texture/lighting I'll be using.

1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6.

This is where I am now, does the 'jelly' texture come across? Ideas for how could I improve it? Right now it is only color that really gives any info about the material..

My abilities with making color ramps/palettes are terrible so suggestions on that welcome also.

[Edit]: Updates all shown on this post as well as through comments to help anyone get up to speed :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 08:00:34 pm by Cilein »
<3 programming and pixels

Offline Batzy

• Huzzah....
    • View Profile
    • GameBros

Re: Texturing help + critique needed

Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 12:16:10 am
Suggest you look at Jad's avatar it may be a good example:

Anyway here's kinda bad edit but it should give ya some idea.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 12:19:29 am by Batlorder »

Offline Glak

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 05:13:14 am
My initial reaction was "that guy is going to need really hard to fix that texture, that gravestone looks like it is made out of jelly".  So yeah I dig it.  I like the rippled one on the left.  The one on the right is ok but not as obviously jelly.  I also think that it might be harder to animate well.

Offline Cilein

• Pixel <3
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 11:15:36 am
Thanks guys, for the edit and ref also - v. helpful.

In this one I tried to better the lines, making the shape a little less glass like. 2 new colors for highlighting and I redid the static wibbly-ness.

I think I might need to be more extreme on my chubby corners, they look more like bad pixelling atm.

Offline redballoon

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 09:25:25 pm
Yeah, you're edges look far to sharp and defined. Your image doesn't really look like jelly to me, I'm afraid. Just having a look through images of jelly on Google and you'll see what I mean. That's not to say that you don't get sharp edges on jelly, you do, but..well, it's easier to see. I'd even suggest actually buying some jelly from the supermarket (it's not expensive) and making it so you can see first hand.

Offline Cilein

• Pixel <3
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 09:28:19 pm
Damn, internet connection problems here, accidentally quoted the post I was trying to update, twice.. sorry.

Anyway I did a pre-test for the animation to have a go at sub-pixelling which I haven't done before;

« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 09:35:42 pm by Cilein »

Offline Cilein

• Pixel <3
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 12:09:42 am
New update, I animated the version I liked the best, still has some bits to fix like that too-dark line on the right but definitely more than I thought I could achieve with this.
I've learnt a lot about sub-pixelling and animation here so far, as well as translucent materials.

For the next update I make I might give the palette some tweaking too, C&C still wanted, thanks for the help so far :), now I need sleep though..

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 07:54:35 pm
It seems the gellyish contours on the grave's surface should be shifting around. Make those highlights dance.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 07:57:15 pm
Personally I think the main problem here is the shape. A gravestone-like shape just doesn't read as anything gelatinous to me so it's constantly fighting the textures for readability.

Offline theorb77

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 08:20:07 pm
Personally I think the main problem here is the shape. A gravestone-like shape just doesn't read as anything gelatinous to me so it's constantly fighting the textures for readability.

Agreed.  The cube is easier to identify as gelatinous.  Maybe a bundt-cake (jello mold) shape?