AuthorTopic: C&C on some work I've been doing [GAME]  (Read 11577 times)

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

C&C on some work I've been doing [GAME]

on: October 09, 2010, 03:41:48 am
For about the past two months, I've been working on a game which has gone through many shapes and forms. The current form follows the lines of an "8bit man" that is lost in a "16bit world". The style of the game follows a room by room exploration format. The story line or how the games evolved isn't why I am here though, I'm here to get advice and good critique on the art being used in my game.
Lemme show you all some screens:

*blue Backdrop is a placeholder*
Theres been a bit of...a split between people who agree and disagree that the art is 8bit for the character and 16bit for the level art. I would like to side with the people that agree, but I want to get a well rounded opinion, which hopefully you guys will be able to fulfill.
C&C to your hearts content.

Offline Lukkas

• View Profile

Re: C&C on some work I've been doing [GAME]

Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 03:56:09 am
Pretty neat looking. :)

I think the most obvious thing is that there's very obvious tiling on your grass and dirt. It doesn't look horrible, but under anything more than a passing glance it sticks out.

I really like your bushy tree background. Once it's properly dressed with a good backdrop, I think it'll look great. :)

The water could also use work. It's hard to immediately tell that it's water.

As for the 8 bit man in a 16 bit world... I think it's a little bit hard of a concept to convey. When you're in a 16 bit environment, especially a pretty one (which I think yours is), I know that I at least do not take much notice of the character being less detailed. Really, he doesn't look 8 bit so much. It just looks like he was done in a different art style, or that someone was more lazy in making him. You could probably convey your concept better by going with a 2 bit sprite. It'd make a bigger contrast, at least.

bit argument aside though, I like how that's shaping up. It has a lot of promise. :)

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 04:12:08 am
You know I never thought of using a 1bit sprite...and the more I think about it, the more it makes sense! Would you know where I could find restrictions for 2-bit sprites?
Tiling has actually always been an issue of mine, any ideas how I could fix it up a little bit more other then adding some more shading? And as for the water, that will have a ripple/wave effect on the surface (hopefully), and I could possibly get an under watter effect thing as well.

Offline Lukkas

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 02:35:06 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_depth

That should be a good start. Basically, if you go one-bit, you have two colors, one being your transparency. You could use black, or you could use some other color and it's still technically 1-bit. Think like the alien ships in Space Invaders.

2-bit would be a little harder to convey. You're technically allowed 4 colors, one being transparency. But I think if you go 2-bit, you need to stick to black and greys, like Gameboy graphics.

As far as eliminating the grid by making your tiles not, well, tile, you basically need more tiles. Variation tiles to make it so that it's not immediately obvious that there's repetition.

The easiest way to make alternative tiles that will fit together that I've found was posted on this board a while ago, but I can't find it. :(

Basically, the idea is you should take your original tile, divide it in half both ways, horizontal and vertical, and then flip the pieces around so they're all facing the opposite way, before putting the pieces back together into one tile. From there, erase everything except a 2-4 pixel border all the way around in your new tile. This new "frame" tile will serve as the basis of all your new tiles. Just fill in the middle part such that it is flush with the border you've created, and you can make limitless numbers of tiles that "fit" together, but have unique variation and thus, you eliminate the obvious tiling.

If anyone knows the tutorial I'm talking about, could you please post a link to it? Not only because I suck at explaining things and I probably didn't make any sense, but also because I want to credit the guy that came up with the technique. It's proven very helpful to me, time and time again.

Offline seanz5

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 06:11:13 pm
I agree with the above I think you could benefit from varying tiles.  I also don't feel that the background really looks 16-bit.  I feel your game looks very 8bit to me. 

I think you would benefit a lot if you took a look at videos of this game:

http://kotaku.com/5510532/love-of-the-pixel-leads-to-endearing-game-with-a-twist

It should really give you a good idea of transitions of different number bits.

SeanZ

Offline Chronoxparadox

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 06:30:05 pm
I really don't like what the character looks like. Its very out of place with the backdrop. I've got a feeling that you could add more to him.

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 08:52:47 pm
Thanks for all the comments every one.  I am currently working on a new palette (either 1 or 2bit) for the main character. And as for it not fitting in the BG, the sky part of it is temporary and will be changed. And I'm also looking into the tiles.

==EDIT==
I think I'm going to have need to remake my tiles, or make new ones entirely. And the method lukkas provided me didn't really work out to well.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 09:35:32 pm by Tidbit »

Offline BwdYeti

• Emo Halb + Emocar = :|
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 12:43:17 pm

Offline Lukkas

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 01:43:26 pm

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 10:18:37 pm
Well, heres some new work I've been doing, that guide has really helped me out!

As you can see, I've edited the characters appearance a little bit, and his palette. I've also fixed some of the tiling issues and, yeah I'm still working on that back drop.