AuthorTopic: questions about hiring a pixel artist  (Read 2194 times)

Offline envy

• View Profile

questions about hiring a pixel artist

on: October 03, 2010, 05:11:50 am
hello,
I'm new to the whole hiring people to do artwork, and I have some questions.

Basically I made a character design that I would like animated.
They'd be used for a game, possibly the game would be sold (honestly not sure if i would sell it).

I'm extremely confused about the contracts involved,the contract standards, or what most artists typical expect?
Essentially I like to be able to alter the sprites my self as necessary, or other graphics as necessary?
for example have one base set of animations made, then alter them for different costumes.

would that require a total transfer of rights ?
is a total transfer of rights reasonable, but still giving the artist credit and use to put in their portfolio reasonable ?

also any other advice about professional courtesies would be great.
I'll be glad listen to what ever advice people have to offer.
sources or links too would be great

i'm a newb at these sort of things.
thanks for being patient with me

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Re: questions about hiring a pixel artist

Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 12:02:54 pm
I'm extremely confused about the contracts involved,the contract standards, or what most artists typical expect?
I reckon 15-20$ an hour to be a minimum. You could also work out a set price based on a reasonable time-estimate times hourly wage including revisions. Make sure to agree on a number of revisions beforehand too.

would that require a total transfer of rights ?
is a total transfer of rights reasonable, but still giving the artist credit and use to put in their portfolio reasonable ?
Yep, I think that's the way contracts usually go. No (sane) pixel artist out to earn a buck would bother with non-exclusive rights deals. Giving credits/allowing portfolio use may or may not be part of the contract but you really should do it anyway :)