AuthorTopic: [WIP] House  (Read 6452 times)

Offline Drakojin

• View Profile

[WIP] House

on: October 02, 2010, 04:38:01 am
I've moved on to making the buildings for my game, but it just doesn't look right.
I also think the palette is kind of weird looking.

My goal with this is to try to make it look semi-realistic, but still have a cartoony aspect to it.

Old:

New:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 11:26:20 pm by Drakojin »

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] House

Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 10:04:27 am
Hi Drakojin!

I have not seen your other stuff for your game here (if u have posted them) But I just wanted to comment a few things on ur house :)

When you work with a small piece like this and deffinatly when u have a lot of lines going on (like the roof) I would probably say that; the more colour you use the worse it will probably turn out.

To begin with the roof. the planks is totally messed up, theyr all facing different directions, which is one reason it looks odd. especially the two top ones that is getting bigger as further away they get. The AA could obviously use some work and there are good threads posted in this forum to help you out with that.

About the palette. You should try looking into complementary colours. Was from the beginning created by the impressionist artists who didnt make a shade just black or a darker version of the colour uve used, but instead looked into other colours you might use for a shade. (I love Monét)

Ive made this edit for you, and added just a fast palette to show you just shortly what I mean:

Hope it helps a bit at least!

Gl with your game

« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 10:40:47 am by coffee »

Offline Drakojin

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 03:13:42 pm
I tried your palette to see what it would look like on the house and I think it's a step in the right direction.
As for the roof, I went for a sort of uneven look because having straight lines for a roof is usually very boring looking.
Also, this is for a medieval RPG, the only other thing I have posted was for help on the east and west states for my base.

Any suggestions on how I can fix the roof?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 03:15:36 pm by Drakojin »

Offline voidSkipper

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 05:04:31 pm
Disregarding perspective is not the correct way to make something more interesting if you're also going for a degree of realism.

Consider making the roof out of shingles and tiles or something - they can overlap randomly and be generally interesting, but still follow logical perspective.

Offline Drakojin

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 05:10:47 pm
I don't see how having different sized planks for the roof throws off the perspective.
I'm pretty sure they didn't have the tools to make everything even in the time period my game is set in.

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 03:35:51 pm
Regarding the time, I havn't seen many medevial houses having plank-roofs. They often built with either rock or grass. However, ive read a lot of medevial history and even if they didn't have the modern tools, it was very important for the people to build stable and straight houses, mainly because they couldnt afford the building to collapse and with the materials used it just had to be perfect lines ect.

Maby a grassroof will get you the right feeling but aswell help you with the perspective

Kept going on that old edit of mine:

« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 10:39:17 pm by coffee »

Offline voidSkipper

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 03:43:18 am
I don't see how having different sized planks for the roof throws off the perspective.
I'm pretty sure they didn't have the tools to make everything even in the time period my game is set in.

Because your roofing planks are the only haphazard section of the house, and despite their awkward cut, they all terminate perfectly on the end and apex of the roof.

Offline Drakojin

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 04:45:13 am
Ahh, ok, thank you for pointing both those (huge) flaws out. I see it now, i'll work on it and post my edit tomorrow.

Offline Drakojin

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 10:35:08 pm

I tried to make it look like it was straw or some material close to it, but I think it looks a lot better. The only thing is maybe the palette of the roof is too bright?
I don't know; comments?

Offline Keand64

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 02:15:11 am
The rook looks a bit perfect (geometrically) - the roof of an actual straw house has a more ... rough and imperfect outline.
OH MY GOD ITS AIRMAN!!

Offline Drakojin

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 02:53:36 am
If you looked at the example Coffee posted, you would see that the edges are almost completely straight.

I like this palette. I'm going to stop here and call it done.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 03:10:37 am by Drakojin »

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 06:51:47 am
My edit is just a fast scratch to give you a hint of how it might look like. However, I think from what you've got now to what u had at first is a step in the right direction. Only thing that I can still dont like is the bottom shade of red on the corner pillars. You obviously don't have to post an edit, but yeah, you might wanna change that to one of the darker colours instead!

gl with your game

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 08:36:26 am
Just a quicky fiddle. Tried to give the roof some depth and make the texture meaningful. Also ditched afew colours that didn't seem to have a purpose including afew that weren't on your pallet. I'd really only pay attention to the roof i'm not convinced that any of the rest of it is any improvment to your's but i thought i'd leave it in so you can see how someone else would approach the building.  :D

Either way it's improving and i'd love to see you continue.

Offline Drakojin

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 05:33:00 pm
Ok I lied, here is the final one for now. xD

Edit: I was at school when I posted that and it has whatever site you uploaded that image from blocked, Heyy13.
       I like the look of it so I gave it a go.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 10:21:33 pm by Drakojin »