AuthorTopic: Platform Game Project Forest BG [WIP]  (Read 9423 times)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: Platform Game Project Forest BG [WIP]

Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 09:37:52 pm
So the bush you would like to see a dark outline outlining the whole bush?  I made the outline dark only on the dark side of the bush and the light one on the lighter side.
And on the light side, it looks somehow like an artificial line to me, rather than a natural transition between the bush and the background. Try it out and ask around, even to non-artist people. See what "works".

I can go back and redo the beehive and treasure chest just to have darker outlines in a different color than black.  Does the black outlines break the whole style?
I think so. It brings artificial contrasts that "flattens" things where shadows bring shape to things. A dark-coloured outline is softer and preserve the importance of shape-generating shadows while expressing the initial line art. Also, I don't know what's your reference for the hive, but I'd have figured it "hanging" from the branch rather than "sitting" on the branch like a pile of gold. But I'm definitely not an expert at beehives :P

Thanks for all the input, I will probably give this one more go and then I have to move on, I have to make deadline for this game.
I do understand and value that. That's what differentiate a game from a mockup. Good job ahead.

Offline aramaki

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 10:44:41 pm
I've mesed with colors a bit.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 12:53:35 am
It looks like you desaturated everything; a trick to good color usage is to have a mixture of saturations, with more important things more saturated. You could easily make the yellow and blue on the character the same saturation on the character as your previous mockups while leaving the rest of the mockup at the levels you have right now.

Also, if you outline important objects, it'd be wise to add outlines to walkable terrain. You could make them just dark outlines instead of pure black if you want the character and item's to pop out more, but it looks inconsistent with no outlines at all.

Editification???:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 01:10:29 am by Sherman Gill »
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline seanz5

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 05:56:03 pm
All right final crit on this piece, I will take the last crits and sadly move on I appreciate everyone who has helped me get this far

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I outlined the platformables and did the color edits in the background.  I also replaced any black outline with a dark colored outline.

I think I might toss in some rays of light in there and add some flowers just to add some color.  I feel like I have a solid base to work off of.

Let me know what you think

SeanZ
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 06:00:36 pm by seanz5 »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 04:45:03 pm
Good job, but could still use polishing improvement:
- blueish hue shift on the trunks is a good way to make things look distant, but you _must_ accompany this with desaturation. If it is just turning to eletric blue, it doesn't work.
- outlines must really be that : _out_lines. When the trunk's line keep straight vertical where the branch grafts, you break the illusion that they're part of a single thing and present them as two different objects put aside of each other. Look closely at Gill's edit : he's englobing the whole tree in a single outline, which reinforce unity of the volume.

Welcome to Mr. Mushroom, too. He points out your remaining major weaknesses, though:
- jaggies in the organic outlines (that is, it looks like your curve is changing direction quite often rather than being smooth).
- facial features that are small, close to outlines and thus hardly readable. I guess you want to give him fangs, but they don't look like some.

HTH. I'll try to propose an edit on Mr. Mushroom within a few days.

Offline Tidbit

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 12:40:14 am
All right final crit on this piece, I will take the last crits and sadly move on I appreciate everyone who has helped me get this far

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I outlined the platformables and did the color edits in the background.  I also replaced any black outline with a dark colored outline.

I think I might toss in some rays of light in there and add some flowers just to add some color.  I feel like I have a solid base to work off of.

Let me know what you think

SeanZ
Okay Im sorry, but you have got to fix that character. I'm surprised no ones really touched on it yet. The character is flat and stands out far to much from the scenery. You can keep the style and lay out of him, but I would make him stand out more, and look like he fits in the game.