AuthorTopic: Graphics for a C64 game  (Read 18628 times)

Offline saimo

• R37R34M
    • View Profile
    • RETREAM

Re: Sky for C64 game

Reply #30 on: October 03, 2010, 02:11:28 pm
Eventually I went for a simpler solution:

I'm not happy with the cloud in front of the sun, so it's going to change slightly for a more roundish look (probably I won't be able to work on it until tomorrow).

Offline saimo

• R37R34M
    • View Profile
    • RETREAM

Reply #31 on: October 05, 2010, 03:27:28 pm
Final (hopefully) version of sunset sky plus various tests for the night time:

It looks like the best solution is going for a completely blue sky... what do you think?

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #32 on: October 05, 2010, 04:11:17 pm
I would probably say the 3rd or 4th one, I like the contrast the dithering gives it. However, I would go with the fullmoon, but remove the rings and make it as big as the halfmoon, with the same size on the face details, which atm seems just a bit too small.

Offline saimo

• R37R34M
    • View Profile
    • RETREAM

Reply #33 on: October 05, 2010, 05:00:04 pm
I would probably say the 3rd or 4th one, I like the contrast the dithering gives it.

I like that as well, but unfortunately it also makes the borders very evident, which clashes terribly with the otherwise smooth blue -> black transition (and it also gives less room to play with colors) >:(

However, I would go with the fullmoon, but remove the rings and make it as big as the halfmoon, with the same size on the face details, which atm seems just a bit too small.

Do you mean something like this?

(The second image is what I was working on before reading your post.)

EDIT: used dithering for smoothing the curve and retouched the moon (Whoops... just noticed I've accidentally screwed up the back of the moon - please ignore):

What's better, multi-colored stars, or yellow stars only?

EDIT 2: fixed to comply with HIRES limitations:

« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 06:09:12 pm by saimo »

Offline saimo

• R37R34M
    • View Profile
    • RETREAM

Re: Graphics for a C64 game

Reply #34 on: October 15, 2010, 06:15:37 pm
The release of the final version is getting closer and closer, so lately I've worked also on a logo for the title screen:

The topmost one has been ready for a few days already and I'm quite happy with it. However, last night the idea shown in the second logo occurred to me. Conceptually, the second logo is definitely better (it has a meaning that perfectly fits the title and the whole game concept), but, aesthetically, I don't like it particularly - it looks too plain :-\ So, I tried to spice it up a bit and came up with the other logos. Currently I'm undecided between the logo at the top and the one at the bottom. What would you pick? Would you suggest some other alternative?

Offline bucketfast

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: October 15, 2010, 06:40:23 pm
The bottom one is the most appealing to me because its variable bubble resolution is fine enough to make out the curl, yet vague enough to keep a sense of mystery.

I would suggest that you reverse the bubble pattern (small -> big) on the pig's face though, so it looks like a creepy fractal. Then you might have room to work the eye and smile back in -- if you do, try making the gapes larger for a more grotesque feeling. =)

...I'm just going to add that, a coworker was squinting over my shoulder while I was on the recent posts page, and went "lol bluekkake" at your fourth logo from the top. Something to keep in mind, I suppose. =/
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 09:06:02 pm by bucketfast »

Offline saimo

• R37R34M
    • View Profile
    • RETREAM

Reply #36 on: October 15, 2010, 09:02:46 pm
The bottom one is the most appealing to me because its variable bubble resolution is fine enough to make out the curl, yet vague enough to keep a sense of mystery.

Well, mystery is not what I'm aiming for... but let me ask: is it clear enough that the "curl" is meant to be the pig's tail?
Anyway, you know, eventually I guess I'll go for the last logo because it just makes too much sense, even if I keep on preferring the first logo from an aesthetic point of view.

I would suggest that you reverse the bubble pattern (small -> big) on the pig's face though, so it looks like a creepy fractal. Then you might have room to work the eye and smile back in -- if you do, try making the gapes larger for a more grotesque feeling. =)

That wouldn't work: the bubbles are meant to create a color transition that still leaves the shapes recognizeable.

By the way: I've changed a few pixels here and there to improve the transitions and replaced the light green with the lightest grey, but that's not something worthy of posting an updated picture.

EDIT: OK, done some more work to make the transitions less boring and more effective:

« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 09:41:59 pm by saimo »

Offline bucketfast

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: October 15, 2010, 10:17:33 pm
I think I was reading it in artsy demoscene mode, I don't know. =S I guess it's because the abstract chill is pretty different, at a first glance, from the starkly cute style of the rest of your game. The new grayshift really helps to even out the temperature though.

As for the middle blob's pigtail, it's easier to tell in context if you can see the curve of its forehead and snout, since no ears are visible.

Have you considered tweaking your Kirby dots to be more squareish, sort of a scattered chip dither? Gently rounded boxes would echo your bevelled platformer elements and retro modern lettering -- perhaps the inorganicness would pre-empt sillier player reactions, like in the edit to my last comment. =P

Offline saimo

• R37R34M
    • View Profile
    • RETREAM

Reply #38 on: October 16, 2010, 09:00:57 am
I think I was reading it in artsy demoscene mode, I don't know. =S I guess it's because the abstract chill is pretty different, at a first glance, from the starkly cute style of the rest of your game.

Well, yes, that was the direction at first. After I had the idea of adding the pig silhouette, I was trying to preserve some of that feel.

The new grayshift really helps to even out the temperature though.

Glad to hear it works. I wasn't really sure :)

As for the middle blob's pigtail, it's easier to tell in context if you can see the curve of its forehead and snout, since no ears are visible.

Yep.

Have you considered tweaking your Kirby dots to be more squareish, sort of a scattered chip dither? Gently rounded boxes would echo your bevelled platformer elements and retro modern lettering -- perhaps the inorganicness would pre-empt sillier player reactions, like in the edit to my last comment. =P

mmm... aren't the dots already squareish enough? ???
Anyway, have a look at this new version, where I tried to improve the variety and underline the shapes more effectively (while at it, since now I have more room, I have also increase the curviness of the outer corners - actually, that's how they were at the very beginning):

The additional logo is for an alternative version of the game.

EDIT: after making this post, I realized the 'X' in the alternative logo didn't reflect the original one. So, I went to remove the 4 pixels at the inner corners, but, in the process, a thought occurred to me: the style of the "wrong" 'X' was actually more fitting than the original's! So I changed the original one and realized one more thing: the thickness of the "cuts" of the letters in "QUOD" weren't consistent with the rest. Therefore, I landed to this:

I'm also considering rouding the slanted parts of 'N' and 'X' a bit... let's see...

EDIT 2: hey, the rounding seems to work...

EDIT 3: at first I thought I could stand and actually come to like the asimmetry of letters, but, no, I just can't...

I guess I'll call it done and stop pestering you Pixelationers ;)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 02:05:49 pm by saimo »