AuthorTopic: Isometric attempt  (Read 12645 times)

Offline Paiku

• View Profile
    • >Game art portfolio<

Isometric attempt

on: September 11, 2010, 11:13:59 pm
I've always wanted to try isometric tiling, today I gave it a go.

Also it's my first attempt to actually us a palette, well atleast a try. I always end up using way to many colors.

Grass is kinda noisy.. C&C if you please!

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Re: Isometric attempt

Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 11:18:38 pm
I have the feeling that your tree is missing a bit lighter colors at the top check this tree out for example.
http://www.gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/5-8.gif

But I might be wrong .

Offline Paiku

• View Profile
    • >Game art portfolio<

Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 10:44:47 am
I have the feeling that your tree is missing a bit lighter colors at the top check this tree out for example.
http://www.gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/5-8.gif

But I might be wrong .

Yes, indeed the tree looks a bit flat. And SD2's tree is a good reference.

Here's a pretty fast update:

Problem now is that they might not fit in with the environment. I'll keep working on this, it's really fun!

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 11:45:01 am
Ditch the purple secondary lighting! It's not on the level of 'good technique to make a good tree', it's on the level of 'artistic freedom to contribute to the mystical feeling of Seiken Densetsu 3', so if you don't want a game that looks like it's trying to feel like seiken densetsu 3, ditch it!

I really dig this scene though. I see a problem in that the leaves don't bunch up in separate bunches, but rather form one big ball.

I also think it looks flat since the spacing between the leaves is as if the tree was a flat plane - the leaves should be more dense at the sides, for obvious reasons.

And that's my advice for now!
' _ '

Offline pgil

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 01:57:26 pm
The purple highlights would be okay if they felt more consistent with their surroundings. Right now the trees have purple secondary lighting, but the cliff faces just have dull brown shadows.

A bigger difference in bue between the grass in the trees might be nice, to help the trees stand out more.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 04:32:33 pm
Palette is better now. Purple light is superfluous. Doesn't everything need to have it if one thing does? Tree's leaves are oddly bulbous, like a big cluster of green grapes.

Offline McClaneGames

• Evan M
    • View Profile
    • NinetySix, Co.

Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 07:49:09 pm
The dark lines on the end of the cliff face tiles are really bugging me, it makes them look independent of each other when they should be one thing.

Offline Paiku

• View Profile
    • >Game art portfolio<

Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 08:37:39 pm
Jad:

Yes, I'm ditching the purple it doesn't match the overall style. This isn't supposed to be seiken densetsu tactics..  :)
Thank you for making me realise the flatness of the tree too. I'm breaking this ball into smaller branches.

Mathias:

They're very bulbous and grape-looking indeed!

McClaneGames:

Yeah those cliffs are still quite wip.

Thank you all for the crits, I'll keep em all in mind under the process.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 08:39:34 pm by Paiku »

Offline Paiku

• View Profile
    • >Game art portfolio<

Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 11:47:46 pm
Ok, finally had some time to work on this piece. Atleast rework the tree.

This still needs quite a bit of polishing.
C&C!

Offline theorb77

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 03:45:52 pm
This is purely a stylistic choice, but I feel like having every leaf explicitly individually detailed is really over-doing it.  It looks great as a standalone piece, but as what is effectively background art, it's maybe too strong.

Something about the lines in the trunk feel a bit 'pinched', too.  It's made up of three individual cylindrical shapes, and the one on the left is over-powering the one in the middle, which should be the real core of the trunk.  In a one-off, individual piece, again, it would probably be fine to make the tree look imperfect as normal trees usually are.  The fact that you're leaning to slightly cartoon-y means (in my mind) that you can only delve in to "imperfect" so far, because cartoons kind of deal in that iconic look of things.

If that makes any sense at all.

Beautifully colored, however, and a real treat to look at.