AuthorTopic: Green Tea  (Read 17309 times)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: Green Tea

Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 02:51:30 am
Shazza!

Sorry, that's all I have to say. The new body structure looks great. I look forward to the finished product...alot.

I did, however, like the way the old tentacles branched out...like roots, it seemed to me.

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 11:25:33 am
Shazza!

Sorry, that's all I have to say. The new body structure looks great. I look forward to the finished product...alot.

I did, however, like the way the old tentacles branched out...like roots, it seemed to me.

it looked kinda like he was floating
EAT PUNAJI  BECAUSE IT'S GOOD AND TASTY

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #12 on: April 10, 2006, 12:33:04 pm
Wow, i'm loving the new aspect. Awesomely freaky and imaginative. can't wait to see a finished product.

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Reply #13 on: April 10, 2006, 05:19:45 pm
Thanks to everyone for the comments and critiques.

Alex
You know I'm not trying to get you in trouble. Your comments on the colors are sort of harsh though.

Helm
I've fiddled with that color a little bit.

Alex Hanson-White
I've yet to try using speculars, but it's definitely on my to-do list. You're absolutely right about the current colors making it look as though it's made of metal than of flesh and blood.

Larwick
I may be reverting back to the first palette. Also, I'm actually hard at work finishing this which is a switch for me.

Camus
The tentacles won't all be done the same, have no worries.

Zach
I do like the torso.

Xion Night and Zach
The old tentacles were just scribbled down for ideas as to where to go, but I think you'll agree with me in that they looked really flat. Even if I had shaded them all I think they would have looked as though they were pressed between the pages of a book. Not only that but I like the fact that he's on land now. It harkens back to the original sketch ( http://www.latentmedium.com/images/pixel/crap.png ).

Larwick
Again, it's coming... honest.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: April 10, 2006, 11:19:05 pm
I knid of like the original tentacles better. They have this really neat flow to them that the new ones don't have. They fit the body more too, whereas the new ones feel slightly too large.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #15 on: April 11, 2006, 11:10:47 am
Yes but being a monster i think it's better to be as original as possible. Oh and i didn't mean to push you to finish it David, just my obsessive views ^_^

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #16 on: April 11, 2006, 04:55:15 pm
 Actually, David's piece kicks ass. It just needs to be finished. Excellent, keep praticing David.

Offline reydragk

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: April 11, 2006, 07:41:53 pm
I really like how this is coming out, but I like the old legs better...

Oh well, it's a sexy piece of pixel-work either way, can't wait to see it finished <3

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: April 11, 2006, 10:04:51 pm
not to be a pest, but the new legs look flat still, and stiff too, like bent cardboard.  i much preferred the old legs which had a graceful flow to them.  these look to heavy

that aside i really like the upper portions and i cant wait to see this come out
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #19 on: April 11, 2006, 10:31:11 pm
I think the old, floating tentacles were much more interesting than these.

the old ones had a nice spiraling curve that led the eye swiftly towards the well detailed head, new legs are shabilly drawn and have a bunch of curves that dont really lead the eye anywhere, they are only distracting. Not only that but they dont fit the anatomy of the head in the least,  they have senseless varying widths that wouldnt be reasonable in any kind of functional tentacle system, the wobbly varying depth also clashes with the delicate details on the squid's head which just makes it seem like 2 diferent images frankestenized together.

I know from what you have said that the new legs are supposed to be adapted to perspective, but the wild varying widths in them cannot be determined by any true sense of perspective, I also notice that they touch ground on two diferent levels and in that sense you could say they have 2 layers of depth, but this is only supported by the shadow you added and the shading you gave them, whitout that they just look like the wobbly badly defined limbs that they are.

if you really need the legs to look like they are on the ground so badly, you could just select a few of the old tentacles and move them up a little bit, have some of the tips bend harshly at a given height and give the viewer a sense of the creature standing.

http://www.newwavemugen.com/MVC2/ShumaGorath.rar here's a spritepack of an octopus creature that pulls of very well the illusion of standing, while still having beliveable tentacles, it's an archive of all the frames this fighter character has.

everyone, what's with the lack of depth in the discussion going on here? half of you expressed your disagreement with the change of the legs but none of you bothered to sit down and really break down what specifical aspects of it detracted from the piece, when did everyone become so afraid of doing good old C&C?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 10:55:56 pm by Camus »