AuthorTopic: Harvest Moon Mockup  (Read 13477 times)

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Re: Harvest Moon Mockup

Reply #20 on: February 24, 2006, 11:01:03 pm
-99% of decent pixel grass follows the same 6 shapes/types of grass-blades (see if you can find them in my edits)
-every pixel of a tile does not need to be filled

-grass is never a perfect pattern unless its cultured/groomed/mowed
-multiple tiles lets grass look more natural and wild
-grass tiles are design to 'tile' only once (you create tile patterns using several tiles)
-ground tiles in general look better when they have smooth transitions (the grass gets tall then shorter)
-high contrast grass is *bad* it overpowers the picture because grass tends to take up the largest space
Your post was incredibly helpful, Dhaos, especially the ones above. This gave me one of theose lightning bolt moments, sort of how I felt whenever I saw this Pixelation post by Sals on animation principles. I'm still experimenting on the grass, so it might be another day or two before I get something working that I works with the other tiles. I'm just making a post so you don't think I'm ignoring you as it was very enlightening for me.

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: February 25, 2006, 04:36:03 am
Just remember to keep that style you have crab, bushy grass.

Not every game is seiken densetsu 3.

(that was my latest experiment with tiles)

I do conded you pointed out many things that i should work on myself Dhaos :P

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: April 20, 2006, 08:42:26 pm
Wow! Two months already? Er, to explain, I wasn't satisfied with what I was making and I guess I needed some time to figure out what the problem was. So, some time passed and I started redoing some tiles recently and thisis the result. I'm not doing this to get some more crits as I've gotten quite a bit of great advice from the topic already. I need to practice more than get crits at this point. Mainly reviving this topic as I said I would deliver one more update and because of all the great pixel tips and advice I got here I don't want to go back on my word.

Sorry to all the colour restrictionist. I admit that there are a lot of similar colours I could get rid of(partly because I pasted some of the things like the sprite and animals). I'll probably end up replacing the tree eventually, too.

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: April 20, 2006, 09:09:32 pm
Ack! lovely. One of the loveliest HM's i've seen in a long time. everything meshes together well. only problem i can see with it is the tomato plants look a little off. hard to say what though. makes me want to become a farmer :-[
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #24 on: April 20, 2006, 09:17:03 pm
You really spiced things up alot. Great work, the plants look much better this time. The new sprites are great too. I think the tree could use some work though, its somewhat plasticy. Try making more individual leaf groups (more roundish fuzzy shapes basically). Heh, those stumps are hawt though XD! Glad to see improvement here, keep it up =)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: April 20, 2006, 09:36:49 pm
very nice, i tihnk i liked your old dirt a lot better though, this new dirt seems a bit too plain and smooth.  Either way, i love this series and what you have here rocks like woah
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

sonic_reaper

Reply #26 on: April 21, 2006, 01:27:45 am
The style is getting me all hot and bothered with everything being so silky sexy smooth.  The one thing though ... the color of the dirt is kinda making my eyes bleed.  And the cows look hilariously deformed (in a good way).

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: April 21, 2006, 04:24:01 pm
This new one is really great, crab.  I love the cows and the new farmer sprite.  I like the tree, too, but if you feel you need to replace it I'm looking forward to the new one.  The dirt does seem a little oversaturated to me, and I do agree with the Akira in the the tomatos seems off.  Great work.