AuthorTopic: Housing  (Read 2677 times)

Offline Azkanan

• View Profile

Housing

on: March 08, 2012, 02:03:49 pm
Howdy one and all, I'm going to be a cheek and double this thread up as an intro of myself too.

I've been dabbling with pixel art for about a year / year and a half so far, and I've learned some neat tricks. However, i've also picked up some nasty cowboy habits and all-in-all, have misguided myself to a point where my growth in ability has stagnated and now i'm stuck with making nasty, nasty pieces.

I'm currently working on a game, collaborating with a decent programmer, called The Ancients . For such, I want it to look as beautiful as the game itself is in ideals.

After talking with a friend, he pointed me to a thread on this forum which had many-a tutorials, and all-in-all, I've found pretty much most of the community that I've seen here, past and present, to have made some beautiful pieces.

And so, here I am, attempting to leech & learn from one and all.

Now, as for the actual work-piece I'm currently working toward.

My palette theory is completely horrible, per forewarning.

Also, the inside of the doorway is placeholder (Gradients bad!) till I had a inner floor texture.

The idea is to make housing of varying construction material for the player to be able to make;

Hut A; Branches & Boughs.
Hut B; Branches, Boughs & Mud.
Hut C; Branches, Boughs, Mud, Timber & Stone.

The fourth will be an actual building. I want to make a flat-topped building of stone; preferably one of poured concrete. I want to make an additional house from there of timber.

CC on the current huts? I can see the errors (Palette/Texture), but tips on improvement would be appreciated.

I'll follow up with my Flat-top Building soon.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 02:10:33 pm by Azkanan »

Offline michelcote

• View Profile

Re: Housing

Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 02:56:22 pm
Hiya, and welcome to the forum.
The huts look noisy, you're using a lot of tiny little details. Try to avoid planting single pixels. You could make longer and larger leaves and spend a bit rendering a bit of detail in that. Your tiles look like 28x28 pixels, plenty of room to play in. Also maybe a wooden beam sticking out to hold the huts together at the top? They look like a strong breeze could destroy them.
In your color ramps try slight hue shifts to make things a bit more interesting to look at.
Keep working at it, if things are stagnant then stir things up!  :y:

Offline Azkanan

• View Profile

Re: Housing

Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 03:25:25 pm
Hiya, and welcome to the forum.
The huts look noisy, you're using a lot of tiny little details. Try to avoid planting single pixels. You could make longer and larger leaves and spend a bit rendering a bit of detail in that. Your tiles look like 28x28 pixels, plenty of room to play in. Also maybe a wooden beam sticking out to hold the huts together at the top? They look like a strong breeze could destroy them.
In your color ramps try slight hue shifts to make things a bit more interesting to look at.
Keep working at it, if things are stagnant then stir things up!  :y:

Thanks. =]

The huts are very noisy and I did want to try some of the techniques I've seen on the forum to make it less so; that tends to be my problem, I overthink detail.

The tiles are 32*32. Wooden beam out of the center is genius, will put that in when I return to them. Hue shifts I have yet to mess with, I've dabbled a couple of times, but never caught the drift of it.

Update on my house;

My current constraint on my housing is that it needs to fit with the player-construction system.

The player will be able to "design" the layout of their building by placing ghost-image blueprints from selecting room templates (3x3, 3x4, 4x4, 4x5, etc).

When two rooms are placed next to each other, the corners I have, shown above, will smooth over - likewise for roof lips.

Edit;

The house as it currently stands.

The background tiles are just scenic; I need to redraw the ground tiles and add shadows from the building.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 05:30:30 pm by Azkanan »