AuthorTopic: [wip] animu face  (Read 3382 times)

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

[wip] animu face

on: August 30, 2010, 03:46:11 am

i started this around the time I did that other face in this style, just got really bored and didn't get around to finishing it. started cleaning up/shading this one a couple days ago

e:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 05:29:16 am by 1up »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: [wip] animu face

Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 08:13:43 am
Points from the last face apply. Check out how ears look from images in google search and draw them as exactly as you can until you've got the hang of it enough to try a stylistic abstraction. Right now you've got a case of 'Boxer Ear Syndrome' if you ask me.

I know anime is an influence, but again, look at reality more. The way you space the eyes, the angle of them and the flat bridge nose in the middle is highly indicative of that you're trying to make do with mimesis and improvising whatever doesn't fit. You need more basic study of the human face, *even if you end up drawing cartoony stuff, waaay more cartoony stuff than this*. Can't really work around it. The individual facial features are well done, but when assembled like this their nature as symbols instead of features is made clear by the lack of geometrical cohesion. Start from the beginning, forget about poofy hair and what colors or scars the character has, start with the construction of the head and whenever you feel like you don't know what you're doing, study more. There's resources on the internet now.

Or you could keep at it on your own until a few years later you'll have solved a lot of problems in makeshift ways. That's fine too, most people strike a balance between concerned anatomy study and just following their muse for solutions to what looks bad. I just think what you're doing now is not the result of this balance. I say this because you seem to leave a lot of stuff semi-finished, which means you might think you don't have the patience or discipline for systematized study. If you're young, then you need to press yourself to get a system going because you'll never be young and have so much free time again, trust me :) . Learn to draw NOW, learn to stylize and woo the world with your radical personal take later.

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 02:03:34 am
alright, I (hopefully) fixed the ear

I made some tweaks to the face too, but I'll definitely try what you mentioned, I've recently uh
I guess, """gained""" enough of an attention span to try studying these things, so I'll definitely try another runthrough of the face after getting a better grasp of facial structure and all that nonsense

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 10:24:30 pm
double post,
more changes to the face, shaded the headband(palette and shading are very wip)

close eye might be a bit too big

e:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 04:55:17 am by 1up »