AuthorTopic: bluh bluh (this is dumb)  (Read 3477 times)

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

bluh bluh (this is dumb)

on: August 28, 2010, 08:36:09 pm

i know he's thinner in the first pose, i'll edit the second one at some point

Offline FRAWG

• Ribbit Ribbit
    • View Profile

Re: bluh bluh (this is dumb)

Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 01:43:55 am
To be honest, the first one needs more work than the second. The main problem i see with the second one is that i don't know what's happening when the shadows increase.

Offline Organ_House

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 06:33:36 am
I agree, the second one is the more complete one, but the black around the jacket doesn't match with the rest of the sprite. There's no outline on the head, and the outline on the pants and shoes is only slightly darker then the jeans.

As for the first one...

His left arm is ultra tiny and thin, and... I'm assuming he's holding a butcher knife? It's hard to tell since it has a slightly curved guard at the top of the handle (it's not actually a guard but the problem is at that point.) The scarf kind of... grows, as the animation goes on. The middle puffs up a lot but the end doesn't shrink to compensate. He's also leaned a bit too far back, that's sort of an impossible posture to pull off. Also consider his chest should expand as he breathes in as well. And why doesn't his hair sway in the breeze as well?

That's all I can see atm.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 01:28:01 pm
i agree that the second one looks more complete, but i was kind of switching to a heavier degree of stylism with the first one's pose and proportions, which i haven't really applied to the second one.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 04:03:21 pm
but i was kind of switching to a heavier degree of stylism with the first one's pose and proportions, which i haven't really applied to the second one.

It's hard to say what I want to say without sounding insulting but here goes: stylization is not your friend until you learn at least a bit more about the human figure. Not everything about it (who can claim they have done this?) but a bit more. Perhaps for the eyes of other viewers you might know enough right now, but at least for my eyes, the errors overpower any meaningful attempt at stylization.

In small resolutions, with pixels, everything will tend to look marginally better than what you'd draw with a pencil because of the limitations of the medium. Perhaps you need to step a bit outside our pixelly realm and work on your traditional skills.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 08:58:56 pm
well, yeah. i probably do. i just tend to enjoy spriting more.