AuthorTopic: Tree  (Read 26198 times)

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Re: Tree

Reply #30 on: September 08, 2010, 05:05:22 am
Mathias is right, and this is why it's important to draw from life and not the unaided mind. Your mind's tree may have severe flaws, but the one in your backyard certainly doesn't.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: September 08, 2010, 03:09:42 pm
Right now I'm just trying to get the feel how the branches are and the trunk , basically I have watch different trees and see what I could visualize in my mind to put on the paper due that I find it pretty easy.Afterward that I think I have enough knowledge how to draw an branche,trunk etc. I begin practicing drawing an real nature tree.
What I actually did first was watch other peoples tree, learn the tree structures , learn the branches then try to visualize an tree.

I'm going to attempt to draw this tree.
http://www.freefoto.com/images/15/19/15_19_49---Tree-Branches_web.jpg?&k=Tree+Branches

Basically right now I'm only learning the structure of trees and branches.
Besides that I have no tree in my backyard neither in my neighborhood so I mostly draw from the trees on the internet etc.

And guys please try not to quote the same thing that someone else have already said, telling me once is enough no need to keep replying with the same message of an other person over and over.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 03:14:07 pm by micintexp »

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #32 on: September 08, 2010, 07:11:38 pm
It seems like you're taking a very roundabout way of learning tree structure. If you look at a real tree, the structure is right in front of you, no need to commit it to memory. Other people have learned to draw good trees from observing actual trees, why throw in this extra step? If you want to draw a tree, look at a tree, and not a picture of a tree, or a picture of a picture of a tree. There is no prerequisite for learning to draw a real tree, nothing standing in the way of the tree and your sketchpad. The trees Manupix posted look great, and it's because they were (almost certainly) drawn from reality.

I'm not saying that learning from pictures isn't useful, but you won't be learning how to translate three-dimensional objects into 2d.

If you continue to show the same issues, you're going to get the same advice. I find it very hard to believe there aren't any trees near where you live, unless you're making posts from the mountains of Tibet or the Sahara desert.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: September 08, 2010, 07:30:36 pm
Keep in mind that I'm not from US , i'm from curacao .Were I live there's no kind of trees to actually draw etc that's why.Lets say in my neighborhood.
Besides I didn't say from memory I said I study the trees online and firstly try to practice and get the feeling on how to draw the branches and other stuffs then begin with the real thing.Each person do it differently.We do have trees here at the island,but not the barium that I'm living though.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 07:36:45 pm by micintexp »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #34 on: September 08, 2010, 11:42:44 pm

And guys please try not to quote the same thing that someone else have already said, telling me once is enough no need to keep replying with the same message of an other person over and over.

Dude, get real. You probably just lost half your audience with that smug remark. I strongly recommend not telling people how to give crit. You should be happy and grateful anyone gives you any. Anyone should be. People spend their valuable time trying to help one another here.

This is no longer a pixel project. You're just sketching now. How is sitting down with a picture of a tree and copying it different from sitting down and copying any other image? Sketching out trees isn't a specific skill. I don't understand why people go on a quest to learn how to pixel one little object isolated from everything else. It happens so often with trees. But why? I don't get it.
Usually resulting from the prodding of the crowd, these questers even stop pixelling and start sketching because they realize the need to improve their fundamental art skills, that pixelling doesn't, contrary to popular opinion, mask a basic skill deficit. And still, they're focused on that initial object they feel a need to master.
So, is it just a vehicle for improving overall drawing skills? - Representing the real world on the canvas? Or is only "trees" the root concern. What do I do with a mastery over trees? Draw only trees all day? Pixel trees all day? Isn't the real issue here life-drawing skills, being able to wield light and shadow properly, etc. It has nothing to do with trees, or buildings, or koala bears, or yams, or baseball bats wrapped in beef jerky, or electronic devices from the future, or bread ovens, or giraffe tongues.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 01:48:12 pm by Mathias »

Offline SwapBrain

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: September 09, 2010, 02:10:57 am
A key to any form of self-expression, artistic or otherwise, is the faculty for observation. This is because at its root nearly all expression is a form of communication, and if the subject of the communication is not mutually intelligible then it fails. The fastest route to mutual intelligibility is proper reference of common experience, i.e. the world around us. The failure to observe and communicate shared experience creates a lot of bad, bad art.

Not to beat this horse much longer, but the reason you need to go back to the world and draw actual trees that you actually experience in person is while you may have an intuitive and/or symbolic understanding of what a tree is, but you seem to have no real understanding of a tree as a process or a holistic system of objects and processes, or, in other words, why trees do what it is that trees do? Why do trees have roots? bark? leaves? why do they grow up rather than sideways (except when they grow sideways, and then, why do they do that?) The answers to these questions, far from being academic, will help inform and improve your art, I promise.

By way of illustration and entertainment I present an excerpt from Mark Twain's essay "Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offences":

If Cooper had been an observer his inventive faculty would have worked better; not more interestingly, but more rationally, more plausibly. Cooper's proudest creations in the way of "situations" suffer noticeably from the absence of the observer's protecting gift. Cooper's eye was splendidly inaccurate. Cooper seldom saw anything correctly. He saw nearly all things as through a glass eye, darkly. Of course a man who cannot see the commonest little every-day matters accurately is working at a disadvantage when he is constructing a "situation." In the "Deerslayer" tale Cooper has a stream which is fifty feet wide where it flows out of a lake; it presently narrows to twenty as it meanders along for no given reason, and yet when a stream acts like that it ought to be required to explain itself. Fourteen pages later the width of the brook's outlet from the lake has suddenly shrunk thirty feet, and become "the narrowest part of the stream." This shrinkage is not accounted for. The stream has bends in it, a sure indication that it has alluvial banks and cuts them; yet these bends are only thirty and fifty feet long. If Cooper had been a nice and punctilious observer he would have noticed that the bends were often nine hundred feet long than short of it.

The whole essay which is worth the read and easily available online is, in fact, a rebuttal to willful amateurism, something that I know that I, for one, need to be careful of.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #36 on: September 09, 2010, 04:35:34 am
Wow Swap, that's a nice addition to the conversation here.

Could you explain your meaning behind "willful amateurism", please.

Offline kriss

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: September 09, 2010, 07:01:19 am
Oh Oh i don't even imagine we will fall into philosophy (but i don't dislike that  ;D )

I'm agree with Mathias :  when you show your "skill" all criticism are usefull; you don't need to listen everybody, but if numbers of critisism target the same point, you should try to understand why.. I know well it's hard to do

About your original project, maybe you should stop sketching and make pixelling 3 or 4 differents trees (or maybe you decide to leave your project for now ? )
A way to improve is to totally redraw yours trees, without copy any part

Good luck

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: September 09, 2010, 09:35:42 pm
I guess I will just take a break once again , and try to learn more from nature etc.

And mathias sorry if my sentence offended you back there .

Be back in another few months.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #39 on: September 09, 2010, 11:16:58 pm
Nah, not offended at all. You might take a break from pixel art, yes. But don't give up on your drawing studies. You'll get it eventually.