Mass change:

[WIP]Not done with trunk)

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Tree

Reply #21 on: September 04, 2010, 05:03:25 pm
You keep using an inverted muted copy of each tree's canopy for it's shadow. This does not work. It's painfully obvious with this last one here. Think about it. If your lighting is top-down, the shadow should be the shape of the canopy if viewed from directly above. If this is top-down, the trunk conflicts, being lit from the left. Though, shadows are the least of your concern.

Your roots look too improvised. Using ref for this? They lack that natural random quality.

Why not simplify the trunk's detailing? Too noisy. Go for discernible details, some bark detailing here and there. Discernible texture. Something we can visually understand and grab onto.

Canopy looking good so far. You used a large blobby circular brush, don't forget to obscure that fact in your final stages - get rid of the perfect circles along the edge of the canopy. Get rid of the branch chunks showing through, or revise them to make better sense.

You have been searching for all the tree threads here, right? There are numerous lessons waiting for you to learn them. Go find them. They're superior to anything I have to say.

Offline kriss

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: September 04, 2010, 08:34:16 pm
Like Mathias said, you should take picture and copy the global form (like my exemple).
You have too much roots at base of the tree : it's not a spider :p

About color : make more contrast and root less similar

« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 08:59:57 pm by kriss »

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: September 04, 2010, 08:43:50 pm

Offline kriss

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: September 04, 2010, 09:05:30 pm
this picture isn't suitable for a game's tree : it's more like for title
You don't need to have root tom much visible !

look at this tuto http://www.oddgames.com/daniel/graphics/tree-tut.jpg

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: September 04, 2010, 10:08:07 pm

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #26 on: September 05, 2010, 11:09:05 am
Working from life when possible is always a much, much better way of learning than from ref images.
This may be truer for trees than any other subject.
From all your attempts so far, it's obvious you don't really understand what makes a tree a tree, and additionally you mix fantasy elements such as the big visible twisted roots.
It goes with trees as with characters: you've got to study the anatomy of the actual thing even if your aim is to twist it badly afterwards.

I strongly suggest to go out and sketch lots of trees, basic and uninteresting as they might look. You will quickly notice that every species of tree has its own typical branch and foliage structure, and you should be able to reproduce those patterns without too much difficulty (branches being easier than leaves though).

The problem with the tutos and examples shown is that these artists have a pre-existing understanding/experience of trees, so their starting steps are actually not starting steps! This is most obvious in st0ven's post (best of them), which doesn't even start with the trunk and branches but obviously has a very solid trunk and branches underlying structure. I'm not that convinced with Perihelion's or the PS tuto, though they are good shading tutos their tree structures are not that great.

Grab that sketchbook already!

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: September 05, 2010, 04:01:43 pm
Actually I do sketch trees here and there but not a bunch as peoples suggested, compare to my older thread and this thread I have improve a lot more.
Back there I were struggling a lot more due that I didn't even sketch any kind of trees but now I did and understand it a bit better but I still need to sketch more.
Peoples did tell me to sketch either way which is what I did, but still need to do a lot more.

Edit:

I will sketch this tree then.

http://karenswhimsy.com/public-domain-images/tree-clipart/tree-clipart-4.jpg

Will use that as reference.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 04:07:42 pm by micintexp »

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: September 07, 2010, 11:37:05 pm

^ did that at school today.

The quality isn't that great due that my scanner scan everything so brightly that it lost most of the shading and stuff on it .
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 11:45:45 pm by micintexp »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: September 08, 2010, 04:13:00 am
This tree appears to be spread out flatly against a 2D plane. It has no depth. I don't mean lighting/shading. I mean not a single branch overlaps any other branch. If this is the front, if viewed from the strict profile you would see only a flattened column of condensed branches. This is very concerning. Is this truly an attempt at a realistic natural tree?