AuthorTopic: Pixel Effects  (Read 3126 times)

Offline Ambient

• Aspiring artist
    • View Profile
    • ambient-art.net

Pixel Effects

on: August 18, 2010, 01:20:03 am
Never quite done them before, but got a few to do. For now, they are for different strengths of air to ground collisions, and the last is a death animation.
For medium landings (from jump) [Changed in edit 1: less gravity]
For light landings- being knocked back
For heavy landings (fatal). I feel it is way too strong, and if I use it, it will probably be for a desert fatality. Gravity too strong, may use for water impact.
Based off of the above. Forgot to change the eye-white transparency. From Idle animation.
For lighter landings [added in edit 1]
A medium-heavy landing effect, testing dispersing the particles (used cheap transparency). I'm not too pleased with it, but the dispersion looks better. [added in edit 1]
A moderate effect from an attack, seems like a bit of an over kill again. [added in edit 2]
Posted in the order in which I made them. I used the transparency on the first for the dithering, and I do feel guilty about it.
Character, from falling animation. Basically a water balloon.

As these aren't too complex (aside from the pop), I plan to have one for many surfaces and collision levels. I have many more on my to-do list, as I'd like for there to be an effect for every action.
These are all one color for now, and I have no idea how to improve them. My stuff always looks great to me until I know what's wrong, and then like not so. I've seen some really neat pixel art effects, mainly explosions.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 11:02:55 pm by Ambient »
Art gives me a joy that nothing else can.

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Re: Pixel Effects

Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 04:41:34 pm
Looks good.

I think the dust animations are too quick on the way down. Makes it look like liquid instead.

Offline Ambient

• Aspiring artist
    • View Profile
    • ambient-art.net

Re: Pixel Effects

Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 05:45:42 pm
Looks good.

I think the dust animations are too quick on the way down. Makes it look like liquid instead.
Yeah, they are. I now think I'd use the stronger one for jumping into water rather than landing something (recolor it of course :D). I made the first one less affected by gravity. The second I feel isn't too bad in this area, or the first one in this post.
For lighter landings
A medium-heavy landing effect, testing dispersing the particles (used cheap transparency). I'm not too pleased with it, but the dispersion looks better. The gravity seems inconsistent. I might try one with the dispersion style placing bit by bit (what I did on pop, heavy landing) instead of sketchy transparency.
A moderate effect from an attack, seems like a bit of an over kill again.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 11:04:49 pm by Ambient »
Art gives me a joy that nothing else can.