AuthorTopic: Sessy Lady...  (Read 11662 times)

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Sessy Lady...

on: April 04, 2006, 01:32:41 pm
What with all these fighter sprites bieng made, I though I'd be a part of the fad, and send in an oldie I made a while ago. I'd just like to mention before hand that fighter sprites are what I like doing best, so I practice more on these guys than anything else. However, looking at my gallery, there was a shortage of female fetalles.Therefore I'm whoring out my design of a female character to you guys, whose design seems to be based off of middle eastern decent, like Egyptians and what not. Tell me if it needs a little work or not:

Keep in mind that I really suck at female anatomy, and would greatly appreciate some tips especially dealing with that subject.
my back hurts...

Offline Wayuki

• View Profile
    • Wayuki's Place

Re: Sessy Lady...

Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 03:15:13 pm
I think she is lovely! The design, the pose and the body proportions are gorgeous.  :D

I'm not too keen on the colors, though. Her skin looks pretty greenish. I'd love to see her with a more natural tan color. Also, I had a little trouble making out the different parts of her costume and body, because the colors are all pretty similar looking.

Lastly, I think the purple shadow is really harsh and it doesn't blend with the skin at all. On her legs, it looks almost as if she's wearing purple tights with some large holes cut into them.

Offline The B.O.B.

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 04:20:28 pm
To be perfectly honest with you, the strange hues of her body were my favorite part about her. But whatever suits the eye, heres an edit for ya. I just gave her a more realistic tan, as you asked.

old version-->

new version-->

so far I still like the older one better. But I'm pretty sure the majority might chime in to your opinion though, Wayuki. Thanks for the input, I appreciated it!
my back hurts...

Offline Wayuki

• View Profile
    • Wayuki's Place

Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 10:20:48 pm
It's all a matter of taste, I guess.  ;D
I personally would have gone for a less cellshaded look for the skin as well.

I made an edit as well, hope you don't mind:

I fiddled with the colors a bit and added one extra color for the skin. (The seemingly "extra" blue was already in your piece, but not in the palette to the side.)
I also tried to make the collar and bracelets more colorful and shiny.

Offline reydragk

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 07:05:07 am
It's all a matter of taste, I guess.  ;D
I personally would have gone for a less cellshaded look for the skin as well.

I made an edit as well, hope you don't mind:

I fiddled with the colors a bit and added one extra color for the skin. (The seemingly "extra" blue was already in your piece, but not in the palette to the side.)
I also tried to make the collar and bracelets more colorful and shiny.

I like the added shine on the jewlery in this edit, but the skin's shading looks to me like it needs AA...

As far as the original, I'm not really a huge fan of the colors either...I can kinda see where you were going with it, but I like the more tanned skin tone better for sure...

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 11:31:18 am
I think you guys are messing to much with the original style. I love the original colours, they're ...well, original and unique.They could be edited to make it easier for the viewer to see what theyre actually looking at, but still, i like it personally.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 08:59:01 pm
Your anatomy is pretty solid, however the leg could use a tiny bit of muscle detail though, and there you might want to add a small dip near her butt. Also consider adding a few dark pixels to show where the underside of her knee is. Finally I think her ankles are bit thick, but thats pretty minior at this point, well done.

I will say the design and colors are really neat and look good, hopefully you can make a portrait to match soon ^-^.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 12:33:08 am
I really like the way you used the harsh cel-shading combined with that bandage detailon that gal, it gives the sprite something really unique and makes it interesting to look at. I too like the older coloring better, might not look very realistic but it's still far more interesting to look at.

please please please dont gradientize it

like that, it'd become just another boring kof-ish sprite among the myriad of em in the interenet.

as far as I'm concerned this topic only needs more sprites, I think what you got going on might not be the usual stuff everyone is trying to convince you to do, but that's what makes it all so much more worthwile

Offline Overkill

• View Profile
    • i make video games

Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 01:24:13 am
I think the original was fine, but I have no problem with the slightly altered colors, as long as gradients are NOT considered. Gradients make baby jesus cry, especially when the style was intended to be cel-shaded.

The only problem is, as Camus said, it'd help to see more sprites in this style. Possibly an animated version of this sprite would make it a that much more awesome, like a dance or seductive walk of some sort.

Offline The B.O.B.

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 01:38:41 am
   Thanks Camus! I was hoping someone would see where I was coming from. I understand what Wayuki and the others were saying, its just that I don't want to create the same style of fighter sprites as everybody else. I want to create a different type of fighter style( even be it by strange skin tones), and by staying the mainstream, how will I separate myself, or achieve any success? Therefore, I'm going to go ahead and post the two edited versions of what everybody wanted(with out the gradiented version mind you. KOF is great, but I just don't feel their style of sprites is right for me ladies.), and another female fighter sprite below. I just want others to see which style of the egyption women matches the same style of the newer female sprite. Check em oot'...

So there ya go. There's no right or wrong answer, I'm just curious as to figure out which of the two sprites matches the style of the female sprite on the far right. Knowing how to match styles will be crucial if I ever have the oppurtunity to work on a project, so input would be greatly appreciated.
my back hurts...