AuthorTopic: Palm Tree  (Read 4706 times)

Offline jedzed

• View Profile

Palm Tree

on: August 12, 2010, 12:47:46 pm
Wowowow. I have not posted here in a long time  :crazy:

I made this palm tree a few days ago, Problem is it doesn't look quite right. I made it for a game I currently work on and the style is right and everything, so I'm not going to change the style..
Just I think it could be enhanced so it doesn't look as flat, especially the trunk. And the texture on the trunk.., It looks more gravel than it does "bark".. Also the coconut. :[

So if anyone could help me, please do!   :D

Offline Demon11777

• View Profile

Re: Palm Tree

Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 02:48:14 pm
Firstoff, It looks pro  :D  totally jealous! I Made the  ??? face when u said there was a coconut on the tree. Took me like a minute to spot it, I'm thinking either give it a tad lighter shade than the bark or move it off to the side. Also i think it could stand to be a few sizes smaller
Row Row Fight The Powah!

Offline Sleepless

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 03:09:33 pm
The only thing I would say to do is add colored outlines
You know what would make life easier? Real-life CTRL+Z

Offline mattam

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 11:52:11 pm
i admire your technique, but unless you are aiming for a highly stylized image, the palm looks realy unnatural like it was pressed and is going to sprung... i think it would be cool if the trunk was bent, just like most people imagine palm trees...

please excuse the roughness of this edit - just to illustrate my idea of palm (you will do much better shading then i would) :)

Offline buddy90

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 12:31:47 am
Yeah, the style looks great, and the texturing is superb, but, the main problem i see is the trunk, and the shape of the leaves.

See, palm tree have slender and tall trunks, and the leaves in your pixels looks more like it droops after the wood part ends, but the photo implies that the leaves go more above.

oi, I sucks at explaining things. :(

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 08:54:58 am
may I point out that not all palmtree look like that one, and that such fat-and-short palmtrees (or at least trees) actually do exist ?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cubagallery/3368331409/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mwichary/2305811314/
* PypeBros saving the posted picture for later study, btw.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 09:53:13 am
Stylization is fine too! Choosing simple shapes to convey something more complex is ok!

I like the original fat palmtree, it's very enjoyable. I have critique for making it more 3D but ... *  n  * I should just make an edit. Here's hoping I get time for it this lunch

The edit is made!

I suggest that you, in an earlier phase of coloring, decide how to color the topography so it corresponds to the lighting on a bigger scale. I here demonstrated it with icky smooth brush to emphasize the '3D render' feel of how the brain could work at this stage. It could have been better for me to demonstrate this with visible color clusters, actually, but I was lazy!

Using this kind of thinking I dicked around with your coloring. No cleanup done at all and much of the smooth feeling of your original palmtree is gone, but it gets my point across well!

I added 3 colors or something, so keep that in mind. This can definitely be done with a palette of the same size as your original, but lunch time is actually over and it's time for me to get back to work. So cheers!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 11:27:12 am by Jad »
' _ '

Offline jedzed

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 04:44:02 pm
Wow Jad, your edit is fantastic! I don't know what else can be done to it now, because you basically did it for me!
Actually, I might refine it a lil :) but thanks so much for the edit

And people I know what a palm tree looks like, but this is very very styalised :), im happy with the shapes and stuff just needed help on not making it so flat!

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 08:18:06 pm
I don't mind the overall shape, but the leaves are too symmetrical, even mirrored.
It might be interesting to try to fix this.