AuthorTopic: New Platformer Character based on 8 bit sprite  (Read 5450 times)

Offline Medevenx

• View Profile
    • Burke-Works

New Platformer Character based on 8 bit sprite

on: July 26, 2010, 01:03:15 pm
-> ->

Am I doing it right?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 11:43:33 am by Medevenx »

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Re: Trying out a custom 8-bit style

Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 03:03:46 pm
You've done quite well IMO. in your position, I would probably also alter the character design to resolve some readability issues (making the hair flop down in the middle,between the eyes, somehow, would improve the readability of both the hair and the eyes
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 08:54:49 pm
Analysis of the original:
Red is roughly equal to gray 127 on lightness (per La*b*).
With white, black, red, the original has maximum contrast between colors.

Adding colors will reduce the contrast in lightness, but this can be made up with differences in hue and/or saturation.

The new image:
Not enough difference between darkest red, medium brown and dark brown, IMO.
The black/gray/white is ok, but you could add a little bit of color to them to make the most of the limited colors.

A version where I pushed the hue differences quite a bit:

Maybe a bit too much.  Also got rid of one color so it's 7+bg instead of 8+bg.

Tourist

Offline Medevenx

• View Profile
    • Burke-Works

Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 11:31:11 am
I don't really know how to do those hue shift things.  :-[ I didn't push through with the colors on your sprite because I am still puzzled on how I'm going to make a background for it.

Anyway, I updated the new one a bit with better colors and tried a shooting frame.

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Re: New Platformer Character based on 8 bit sprite

Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 09:33:22 pm
To be honest, I'm just guessing at the colors here, but this is the thought process I went through.  I post this in the hope that one of the better pixel artists can provide a better method.

1. This is the first sprite.  Red, black, white.  Maximum contrast.
2. One could simply add in-between colors.  This would give better results for the buffer colors, but that only really works well when there is enough pixels.  I don't think it would would work for the very small arms and legs of the sprite.
3.  Adding another hue is a good choice to keep the contrast, but it makes 10 colors.
4.  Using the mid-brown that you had as the new hue.  This brown is pretty closer to pure red than black or white, so eliminate the red/brown combination.
5.  Reorganize the layout and see that there is basically 3 ramps.  A red, a brown, and a gray.  But these are all single hue ramps, and single hue ramps don't look that great. 
6(a).  Shifting the white to a warmer yellow, and the black to a dark violet adds hue contrast to the gray ramp.  These were random choices.  Something warm vs cold(ish), while staying light vs dark, and staying in the reddish hues so that they would ramp nicely with the reds and browns.
6(b)Halfway between violet and yellow would be an orange-red, but this starts to look to close to the red and brown colors already present.  I flipped the former gray around to the other side of the color wheel to make it a blue gray.  It's still midway between the yellow and violet, but pushes into the cool side of the spectrum so it has stronger contrast with the reds and browns.
6(c). The dark brown and dark red are close together so I removed one to reduce the color count down to 8 colors.
7(a). Aligned the ramps by lightness, from dark to light.  If these colors were grayscale, now they would be separated by an equal distance (roughly where they sit left-to-right on this image).  But I'm not sure if this is the best pattern.  They could also be put in a V-shape, where the reds are lighter and darker while the browns are mid tones (or vice-versa).  This pattern only adds one ramp, dark red - brown - gray while a V-shape would add two.
7(b). To increase the contrast between the red and brown ramps, I decreased the saturation on the brown ramp colors.  I think desaturated colors work better for skin tones anyway.

Final result is 7 colors with 4 ramps.  Sprite has 4 ramps (face, shoulder/boots, torso, pants), so this works out ok.  I know there are better methods out there, so please don't give this too much weight.

Tourist

Offline Medevenx

• View Profile
    • Burke-Works

Re: New Platformer Character based on 8 bit sprite

Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 04:19:23 am
That is so pro. I will so use that for my next sprites. My current sprite already has 7 colors. I felt as if the violet as my darkest shade, was actually too light. I also tried to outline the current sprites into this:

Now, I have an outline for a robot enemy. Enemies in this project will be usually be larger than the main character. I plan to give the robot a violet + silver + yellow (bright yellow, think hitspark yellow) color scheme. I am still planning out the colors and I would like to see some suggestions.

Outlines on the robot will only exist on the outside lines of the entire sprite, so the lines inside the area of the sprite may be replaced with shades instead. :)