AuthorTopic: [WiP] Avatar  (Read 3651 times)

Offline Jasper

• View Profile

[WiP] Avatar

on: July 30, 2010, 05:22:24 pm
well as you guys can see, i'm a starter and a really want to become better at pixel art, i'll put some pieces of what i did to you can tell me what i gotta do to improve, some tips  will be very appreciated!
this is the avatar i'm working on to put here

thanks in advance!

Offline Singularity

• View Profile

Re: [WiP] Avatar

Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 04:55:07 am
By "put here" do you just mean this?

I'm going to assume this is a self portrait, in which case a photograph for reference would be invaluable. 
...And also since you are putting this image onto another, you should give credit to the original source.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 07:19:17 am
By "put here" do you just mean this?
I think it's pretty obvious that's not what he meant.... and that he's the creator of both these pieces.

Anyway, welcome to the forums, Jasper! First of all, I want to commend you for picking a light source in your images as opposed to "pillow shading" as many beginners are prone to do. Well done! However, both faces still seem very flat (especially the first) because each shade is relegated to a broad solid area. There's a dark skin tone you're barely using in the first piece that would add a great deal of depth if applied to the darkest areas of shadow. Remember you can sculpt using volumes as well! Also, it's true what Singularity said about the importance of photographic references. Even if you don't have a picture of yourself handy, any reference photograph of a human face would provide a wealth of information about human anatomy.

Offline Singularity

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 07:32:38 am
Yeah, you're probably right.
In my head I just read it as a "put here:" instead of a "for here".  :blind:

Offline Sleepless

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 09:10:28 pm
This is my take on it. I kinda stole the palette from the first picture. the hair was make in about 30 seconds, so please don't discriminate me  :crazy:
You know what would make life easier? Real-life CTRL+Z