AuthorTopic: Stile editor  (Read 2488 times)

Offline Krice

• View Profile

Stile editor

on: July 17, 2010, 06:29:07 am
It's a tile editor I've been developing since 2004. I could be interested about feedback and ideas.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/paulkp/stile/stile.htm

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Re: Stile editor

Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 06:23:20 pm
Maybe choose a different name?  The name sTile is already used by this program here: http://www.harmware.net/stile.htm.  I first thought that this was a new version of that program, but they are different.

It runs fine on my old computer.  Yay!

Max tile size is 48x48.  This could be larger.  I think 64x64 or 128x128 for a max size would be a better choice.

The default right mouse button behavior of the pen tool is confusing.  At first I thought it was an erase, then maybe something that grabs nearby colors?  I don't really understand what it does, although I did find the button to turn that function off and just use 2-color drawing.

It would be nice to be able to edit the default palette.  Store the default separately so it can be loaded with one button click, but allow a user to construct a different palette as well.  Maybe just a load/save palette function would be enough.

The map editor screen has two buttons on the left that don't appear to do anything.  Otherwise a very nice feature.

There is no way to input RGB values directly into the color selector.

It would be nice if the buttons had a hint or tooltip.  Some of them are not obvious (like the yin/yang for lighten/darken) so a tooltip would really help.

The RGB vs SL slider is a great idea.  Maybe consider adding in an Lab slider to that?

Overall, I like the interface, and it's got some good features like the map editor.  Thanks for offering it for download.

Tourist

Offline Krice

• View Profile

Re: Stile editor

Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 01:54:20 pm
Right mouse button is erasing with pixels that were on the tile before. It's undo brush. The undo buffer is saved when you move to next tile or when you press the undo lock icon. It's almost like a temporary layer.

Palette can be edited already, but not in very obvious way. When you press ctrl+mouse button the current color is placed to palette.

Tool tips exist for icons (can be seen by pressing F1 key), but maybe they need to be changed to hovering tool tips.

In the next release I could concentrate on those palette ideas. Changing the name could be a good idea, even if I was there first. Stile is kind of boring name.