AuthorTopic: [WIP] Sad Island Man  (Read 4458 times)

Offline FRAWG

• Ribbit Ribbit
    • View Profile

[WIP] Sad Island Man

on: July 14, 2010, 11:44:27 pm

well, this is a little piece of art i started today. Took a while to get a decent palette, but i like it.

C&C welcome.
[CURRENT]
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 07:38:56 pm by FRAWG »

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Sad Island Man

Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 11:59:39 pm
needs more contrast.

if this is meant to be an island that looks like a man/ has a man's face (rather than a man with a tree on his head, rising with his shoulders above the surface of the water), then i'd omit the part of the head that curves under, so that the island slopes up a bit to meet the head structure (not so much that it necessarily looks like a blob). would be a bit more subtle, but if this is in fact a man with a tree on his head then you wouldn't want subtle.

Offline FRAWG

• Ribbit Ribbit
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 02:19:57 am
I can see what you mean, i will try to make it look more like an island.... i guess i wasn't worried too much about the structure of the island part as much as i should've been.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 04:33:20 am

If you want it to look more like an island, then asymmetry can make it look more natural. The eyes are too stark white, at least the one on the shaded side would be lighter. Distorting and abstracting the forms of the facial features will also help to this end, as it makes the man's face less obvious. You might also make things a bit rougher, throw in plenty of irregularities and treat the forms like rocks and think in facets rather than line and human facial features. The tree has a bit more curve in mine as I think it adds a bit more character and throws off the symmetry some more, but a straight trunk could work as well.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 06:03:43 am by Cure »

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 06:05:05 am
I like the idea of cutting the mouth out, both because it helps it more identifiable as an island and because you can show the sadness through the eyes alone.

Cure: I love your edit, but I think that the lazy eye is a bit much. The texture and sense of location that you've presented is plenty for identifying that it's an island.

Offline FRAWG

• Ribbit Ribbit
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 01:02:46 pm
I see what you did there, and yea, the dark side was actually unfinished; shading wise...

EDIT: i also see that you've added some colors, i'll try to do something similar.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 12:05:08 am by FRAWG »

Offline FRAWG

• Ribbit Ribbit
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 12:06:56 am

[sorry for the double post]
Massive update from the original, but i need some help with the anatomy of the person and the leaves...

Offline Mhfu

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 01:40:53 am
Looks very nice. you have good texture and nice shading.

i got a request ^_^
could you do one with dithering in it? i just want to see it look a little retro (im sure its hard to do so i can understand)

Offline buddy90

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 02:51:43 am
It looks good, but it lost it's island-ness, now it just looks like a giant emerging from the water.

Offline FRAWG

• Ribbit Ribbit
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 07:29:10 pm
Hmm, that's something i'll see if i can restore. I like the rocky-look of it now, but i think you're right.