AuthorTopic: Shootemup explosion  (Read 3692 times)

Offline GormenGhast

• View Profile

Shootemup explosion

on: July 06, 2010, 02:48:06 pm
Hey guys.... I've made a shootemup explosion, but I'm having a whole bunch of trouble trying to alter the framerate on the .gif file. At the moment it's playing at about 75% the speed I would like it to. Here's the gif:

Also, any critique would be great. I'm trying to make my explosions as exciting as metal slug, but failing miserably.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 05:30:54 pm by ptoing »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Re: Shootemup explosion

Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 03:32:39 pm
Hey guy! Your image doesn't sem to work right now. That's a bummer, you should look into it!
' _ '

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 08:14:56 pm
I'm not too big a fan of that movement to the right then back to the center -- I think it either needs a left movement mirrored in to it (I've always found mirroring to improve explosions, but that's just me  :D), or for it to move only upward.

Try playing with wider movement variations -- for example, slow-rising at first then, as it changes to smoke, have it rise faster. or vice-versa. (I'm not talking about framerate variations, just wanna make that clear)

Offline GormenGhast

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 09:22:02 pm
Yeah I know exactly what you mean. In my haste to make it not like the metal slug version, I deliberately did it facing the other way - in retrospect it would definitely have looked better centralised the whole time. I'll give it a try tomorrow morning and then post when I'm done! Thanks :)