AuthorTopic: Isometric RPG Soldier [WIP]  (Read 4437 times)

Offline Azragon

• View Profile

Isometric RPG Soldier [WIP]

on: June 26, 2010, 11:30:49 pm
I have been working on this sprite for a couple days now, and I'm having trouble with it.

Self edit:
Edit 2:
Edit 3 (color edit for darker/melancholy theme):
Edit 4 (color edit):
Edit 5:
Edit 6:

It is an isometric RPG soldier (modern/futuristic) achieving for a dark theme.

A) I can't decide whether or not to just outright rip out the outline or leave it
B) I feel there is shading issues, and various others I am not touching base with
C) There may be some angle issues.
D) Possible pallette issues? If there would be a more interesting pallette, that would be awesome to use. :)

C&C is welcome, if not desired. I would really love some edits to demonstrate what I can do with this, correctly.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 02:12:58 am by Azragon »

Offline The 7th Sin

• View Profile

Re: Isometric RPG Soldier [WIP]

Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 11:38:21 pm
The front on view of your soldier seems a little odd, it looks like his helmet is really low on his face and it also seems like the helmet is really big, (as wide as his shoulders).
You might want to adjust those two things, but other than that I really like it. :)

Offline Azragon

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 11:42:00 pm
The front on view of your soldier seems a little odd, it looks like his helmet is really low on his face and it also seems like the helmet is really big.

This was intended out of mocking Final Fantasy 6's soldier a bit. Suppose to also make his appearance more "plain" and have little to no character for emotions and what not. I hope I didn't go over do it though.

Offline Azragon

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 07:05:58 am

Edit 2:
Color edit for darker/melancholy theme:
Color edit 2:

I decided to perform a massive edit to one specific sprite. I honestly like it. However, I am in awe of trying to make it darker themed. It is suppose to be a dark modern day RPG, not happy RPG. :(

- Outright stripped dither
- Modified colors/ Adding new ones
- Redesigned feet completely
- More contrast

I Wonder how the blood stains and decapitations will go with it though...  ::)

Anybody?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 11:12:46 am by Azragon »

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 04:43:30 pm
In the SW-facing stance, his left leg (his left, not ours) needs to be moved a little to our right wher it meets the pelvis-- right now it appears to be covering the other leg and giving him a more twisted stance.
His stance is very wide, even for an 'action' stance.

Also take note that people rarely stand with their feet parallel to each other. They usually point away slightly.

Offline Kidfrommars

• My location? It's kinda obvious..
    • View Profile
    • RPG Land

Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 07:47:38 pm
I agree. The legs are very far apart. I thought it was doing a minor split.

Offline Azragon

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 09:51:56 pm
Thanks guys! Yes his stance is a bit awkward and out of angle. I wish I could find a isometric tutorial on human form and angles, since I have no clue what I'm doing in this area except guessing.

I tried to adjust his legs a bit. I dunno, it probably still needs work. Damn you angles! :(

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 10:00:56 pm
The stance definitely looks more natural, kudos :)

As for the SW stance: try pulling the shadow over his entire crotch area, and turn his left foot so it's pointing a little more towards the viewer. It looks like his backpack is getting clipped off, is that the case or are the pixels just lining up? And try distinguishing the line between his left arm and his body, because right now they're blending together.

Offline Azragon

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 02:12:38 am
Did a SLIGHT edit to the diagonals, though I think I should of done more. I just wanted to push to a new sprite real quick. I created the side sprite now. This is where I always get tripped up in iso sprites. I have to say it looks at LEAST better than the first one.

C&C please.

Edit 2 (front sprite, feet needs work):

« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 04:38:51 am by Azragon »