AuthorTopic: C64 grayscale AA practice  (Read 8798 times)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: C64 grayscale AA practice

Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 08:43:25 pm
that is awesome, ive always wanted to try some stuff like this. the almost blocky shading on the chin and nose is very stylish.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #11 on: April 01, 2006, 04:42:28 pm

MCOL correct (at least as far as Timanthes can tell... ptoing I think we understood mcol limitation wrong, somehow. The universal colour was not editable in Timanthes, does it autodetect, or does the unicolour shift somehow in Hires Multicolour?) and using Ptoing's palette now.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #12 on: April 01, 2006, 10:04:30 pm
I really dig the expression and the brushery drawings slapped on it, you dont see that much in pixelart

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: April 02, 2006, 05:29:11 am
C64 stuff always impresses me, and so does your work, far as I've seen it, in any form, so I'll spare you the gushery... :P
But, seeing as I don't really understand C64 stuff (can't get a grasp on doing it myself), it's hard for me to crit this from a technical standpoint. If it helps, the artwork on its own is fantastic.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #14 on: April 02, 2006, 01:42:01 pm
Thanks. Things you need to know about c64 specs: 16 colour machine palette, noneditable. it is what it is and you make of it what you can. Only using the grays for this one, as it was practise piece. Might go in and Cyclone the hell out of it later on, though. The basic pixel in this mode is what we affectionately call a 'widepixel'. It's two square pixels wide, one pixel tall. Everything is composed of widepixels, and therefore dithering and aa and all assorted techniques have to be adapted to this mode. Lastly, every 8x8 tile can only have 3 colours for the 16 on the palette, and one colour is free and the same for all the image. Therefore since black is universal here, I can use three other colours from : Deep gray, Medium Gray, Light Gray and White on one tile in this piece. This gets amazingly more complicated when you're not doing grayscale work but instead something like this, which I still think is my best c64 work thus far.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #15 on: April 04, 2006, 12:44:54 am
No, no, no, we did not understand it wrong. But in Timanthes you have to have 2 layers for c64 stuff and the background layer would be the bgcolour, so just fill it with whatever should be the bgcolour. And you have to make sure that you dont use the bgcolour on the top layer. That's what the transparent 17th colour is for.

Looks nice with the update.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #16 on: April 04, 2006, 03:23:42 am
Ah I see. I just merged them all down, hm. Anyway, I've spotted lots of little errors in the autofixer, but I'll just let it rest now and do other work. Oh btw Ptoing, tiles.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #17 on: April 04, 2006, 04:52:38 am
looks very cool, its great to see more c64 style stuff.. i may even have a swing at it at some point
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #18 on: April 04, 2006, 08:32:51 pm
Tiles yes, I came back from Amsterdam yesterday and stayed today at London at a friends having a blast going to the arcade and playing shmups and outrun, and having nice food and drawing in sketchbooks at nice cafes. Good times. :D
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.