AuthorTopic: [WIP] Bruce Lee  (Read 4796 times)

Offline colinsick

• View Profile

[WIP] Bruce Lee

on: June 03, 2010, 12:33:00 am

I'm jealous of these pixel games I see people working on here and at pixeljoint. My most recent objects of jealousy are:
here: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=10404.0
here: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=10289.0
here: http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10425
here: http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10367

So I decided to break out my old laptop and brush up my pixel skills. This is a Bruce Lee character based on a bunch of unfinished sprites I had laying around begging to be used in a game. C+C or edits are welcome!

And below is a title shot of the flash game (based on the same design) I'm procrastinating with while avoiding math classes and work. Although it pretty much just runs the title screen at the moment, I've coded the ability to use dynamically palette-swapped custom characters by loading your own custom sprite sheet :)

« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 01:22:26 am by colinsick »
<3 Montreal.

Offline Wenruto

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Bruce Lee

Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 12:48:05 am
Really Nice man.. I Love the Idea of The palette-swappable characters  should be a good game to play  Keep up The good work

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 03:14:50 am
Hey colin, good to see you around here again with your RCR type guys.  Those animations are really great, I think.  Maybe Bruce's hair should be a little bigger/popping off the top of his head or something?  I don't think the likeness is quite there, but then again maybe it's not necessary.

Offline colinsick

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 09:36:32 pm
Quote from: Wenruto
I Love the Idea of The palette-swappable characters ...

It was a lot of learning for a meagre amount of code :) But it works and its really easy for the end user to add different palette swaps for their character.

Quote from: Darien
Maybe Bruce's hair should be a little bigger/popping off the top of his head  ...

I actually tried that before! It wasnt all that necessary and i couldnt get it to look right anyway. I gave away all my art related to this stuff (including flash code) about two years ago, no strings attached. One guy took it, but I dont know if he ever finished anything.

<3 Montreal.

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 04:42:58 am
The gray stripe along the side looks bad. It looks like shading.

Maybe make it a bright red or something, or take it out completely. I think it's at an angle where it will always look like a shadow of some kind.

I like the whole overemphasized "keeyaaaah" pose part. I think it would be cool if you could add one of those before he swats someone as apposed to after.

Offline HC_Bret_Measor

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 01:07:03 pm
I reallllllly love your Bruce Lee. I am Jealous.

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 04:14:13 pm
Your sprite is absolutely chief! ;D I agree with Darien about the likeness tho, how about an ear to try and increase the likeness a bit?

Don't know if my edit makes him look more like the real deal but maybe if you messed around with it some..

Offline preston

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 06:59:08 pm
The gray stripe along the side looks bad. It looks like shading.

No, it doesn't. Its a bruce lee trademark, if anything it should be darker. The animation is fantastic and very fluid