AuthorTopic: Pixel art Documentary  (Read 9945 times)

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Re: Pixel art Documentary

Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 04:18:08 am
I think those are all good points, but I don't think a fair overview of pixel art could be crammed into 10 minutes.  Perhaps the video should have been more conscious of its focus on retrogaming or indiegames (which, as I said, is a natural angle to approach it from for a short piece since it seems to be the most prominent form of pixel art today).  I would certainly like to see a longer treatment.

To lavalevel:  I'm sure Helm is too modest to say so, and I'm sure his post already made it clear, but he knows more than most about pixel art and its history and he would be a good person to talk to for specific areas of interest or directing you to possible interviewees, (or for an interview himself, as for the past several years he's been the most visible moderator of one of the most prominent pixel art forums on the web).

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 05:10:06 am
I like the project! I learned a thing or two about why pixel art is becoming a point of interest from the indie perspective. Guess I don't pay enough attention to that stuff  :o

But yes, I concur, there's a TONNE of background and aspects of pixel art that would do the documentary a world of good if included. You could even do a whole series on it, really. There's even potential for talking about specific graphics systems like EGA to take up an entire 10 minutes  :lol:

Pixel art series. Do it do it do it!

Also, welcome to the community. Cool to see a Brisbanite about!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 05:12:27 am by EyeCraft »

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 06:13:53 am
Pixelart is like the underground rap of gaming.
Tends to be hard to find but when you find something you like you're glad you did.
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 09:06:26 pm
Say what you want about the content but watching that video reminded me of why I love pixel art and got me back into creating it.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 11:35:53 pm
If anybody is up for some reading I found an article today from indiegames.com that was about the resurgence of pixel art in some independent games.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/05/8-bit-heroes-ars-explores-the-resurgence-of-pixel-art.ars

I thought it'd make a nice bookend to the video so why not link to it from here.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 01:59:05 am
Army of Trolls is Gunstar_Red, right?

Good find xhunterko :y:

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 02:29:39 am
Army of Trolls is Gunstar_Red, right?
Correct.

I especially liked adam atomic's paragraph on pixel art.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 02:56:57 pm
My brain went fizz at 1 and 3. Those will have to be wikipedia research items later.

ditto...and I couldnt google the 1bit thing.

care to explain helm?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 07:20:40 pm
well pixel art 'starts' at the need to arrange 1bit pixels, meaning either a bight color or absence of, into aesthetically pleasing and readable configurations. Add a small resolution to the mix and trying to make a pixelly letter q look like the letter q becomes quite a pixel arty endeavour. The first time I think the term 'pixel art' was used was to describe Macintosh 1bit icon art.