AuthorTopic: another - small image dump.  (Read 13240 times)

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Re: another - small image dump.

Reply #20 on: March 31, 2006, 09:25:51 am
surely, it's a style choice in some instances?!

I REFURE TO ACCEPT THIS  >:(

Animation's a whole nother monster -- as are "effects".  Classifying "pillow-shading" as a "stylistic" choice means you either can't shade, you don't want to learn, or you're retarded.
Oo controversy... whilst I accept what you say to a point... they're still pillowshaded no matter what you say... so it does have it's uses... in animations effects... whatever... retarding thinking or not, personally I would say that refusing to accept a technique has no merit is plain shortsightedness... it comes down to fashion and peer pressure... if I wanted to pillowshade something because I felt that that's what that particular thing required then I'd do it... I wouldn't NOT do it because I'd be chastised as being a lesser artist or not knowing my beans - Style & Asthetic is pure subjective. I'm neither retarded, incapable of learning and CAN shade... so by using such a techinique and flying in the face of conformity - for me - is more creative than following the herd.
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

sonic_reaper

Reply #21 on: March 31, 2006, 09:30:06 am
While I was joking to some extent I will rebut my actions.  What you did was an animation, more specifically an effect that cycles colors in a loop inside the star shape.  It just happens that in a still frame it would be classified as "pillow-shading", however, the star itself will never be used as such in game, as it would be animated rather.

To actually go out of ones way to shade using "that technique" shows a lack of knowledge.  Why would anyone pillow shade?  There's no reason to.  And again, the animation doesn't apply to those rules, but I already explained that above.

I don't feel there's much use getting too much into this.  I don't condone the use of said technique.  If you're fine with it -- that's okay.  I don't know why you're going on about conformity -- I hate dithering and I would NEVER use it, but that's not because I'm going against a popular trend, more so just hate the style.  However, I acknoledge it can look very good and it has its uses.  Pillow shading is more or less useless and it looks like ass all the time.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 09:33:14 am by sonic_reaper »

Offline baccaman21

• View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #22 on: March 31, 2006, 09:34:01 am
That's cool sonic... I get what your saying... ;) :D

www.burnzombieburn.com

sonic_reaper

Reply #23 on: March 31, 2006, 09:38:25 am
Oh, okay, well it was weird how the topic came up.  Since none of the sprite use pillow-shading.  They're well designed and well shaded and it's especially impressive with a restricted palette of only 16  ;D

Offline baccaman21

• View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #24 on: March 31, 2006, 09:55:42 am
lol... yeah twas weird that.. hey! Alls well that ends well... ;)

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Niss

• View Profile
    • darkno.de

Reply #25 on: March 31, 2006, 11:10:30 am
ADVANCED PILLOWSHADING for when you know, you're not making art wrong enough.

THAT "tutorial" was really really brutal. I mean you warned us and all but still... damn curiousity

Yeah the english have some rather funny signs now and then. When I was in scotland (ok let's say the uk have some funny signs) there was this "beware of old people" sign. It was a pictorial sign and not unique - two ... maybe old people or yodas with sticks... totally cracked me up.
Than there's this guy on the yellow sign. All kind of bad things happen to him: from lightning hits to train accidents - you name it. That the guy is black is of course only for designs sake (it's not the states after all - just kidding)

the spectrum pics are quite nice btw

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #26 on: March 31, 2006, 01:47:20 pm
Pillow shading is perfectly acceptable, if done right and choosen consciently. It's wrong if that's the only way one can shade (more like imitate the ability to shade).
Look at all those models in photoshoots with front lighting, those looks good.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #27 on: March 31, 2006, 01:52:47 pm
That's not pillow shading, that's front lighting.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #28 on: March 31, 2006, 02:31:24 pm
Tomayto and Tomahto? Technically the same, imho. Stars on baccaman's first post use front lighting then (unless it's the area occupied by the gradient that you're worrying about in making the distinction).

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #29 on: March 31, 2006, 05:41:29 pm
Sorry to continute the derail, but front lighting is definitely not the same as pillow shading. Lets pretend we're shading someone's face with a lightsource on the camera. The cheekbones would stay light until the angle got steep enough, but the cheeks would darken relatively slowly, as they're not as steep. A pillow shader (new term?) would just do a single gradient to the outline. I don't think the stars are pillow shaded, to me they look like a translucent object with an inner lightsource.

Back on topic, the variety of powerups here is interesting, I've never seen a game with a playing card or road sign as a pickup. What was the gameplay like?