AuthorTopic: Retro-Style Sprites  (Read 11332 times)

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Re: Retro-Style Sprites

Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 03:11:51 am
I like what jad said. He has a point. Tiles looked much better in the first screenshot. In the new edit, the tiles seem to 'droop', or sag down a bit.

And just a bit off topic:
'Maker of drop ships'? Okay, now these I gotta see! Link to pics?

@tehwexxl0rz: I actually disagree. Giving the character a more roundish head in the dialogue would bring the player more into the game world and make the player more interested in the character. If the player starts caring about what shape a protagonists head is then the developer has already lost them.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 03:17:06 am by xhunterko »

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 05:57:58 am
@tehwexxl0rz: I actually disagree. Giving the character a more roundish head in the dialogue would bring the player more into the game world and make the player more interested in the character.
Buh-what? Dramatic visual discontinuity draws the player into the game world? Sorry, but that's just plain wrong. Anything that destroys the illusion that the little dude on screen is a real little dude is bad design (unless there is a clear reason for breaking the fourth wall.) A portrait is meant to enhance this illusion with detail, not damage it with blatant contradiction.

If the player starts caring about what shape a protagonists head is then the developer has already lost them.
First of all, the developer's intention is irrelevant. Always. This is a fundamental rule of game design. Everything MUST be communicated through the content of the game itself. If the developer doesn't want the player to care about the shape of the protagonist's head, it's his job not to make it stick out like a sore thumb.

EDIT: Sorry xhunterko, that sounded a bit harsh reading it over a second time... I was just trying to get a point across. :)

Anyway, here's a color edit with hueshifting and more saturation. I also played around with specular highlights and the glow of the lantern:
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 09:08:41 am by tehwexxl0rz »

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 08:52:25 am
I second what tehwexxl0rz said, sorry xhunterko, gotta disagree with you too. Speaking of his big head, look it looks like nothing in his portrait and its a bit distracting, I've made an edit making his head smaller and given him a bit of a stance instead of him just kinda... standing normally.

I'm guessing he'll contrast enough against the dark bgs you got, but this is just a suggestion of what you should do, just doesn't seem like he can carry that head around, its bigger than a chibi's head. I hope this edit helps in one way or another.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 10:53:49 pm
@tehwexxl0rz/bengoshia: Eh, no biggie. I just think of things a bit differently I guess.

Offline Jon

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 12:26:21 am

Update v3...
Oh, and about the character, I realized that the current one is about as big as a single tile, so I will make a new one that's larger and more chibi-like. The squareness in the current one will not be carried over.
EDIT:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 12:57:51 pm by Jon »

Offline Jon

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 12:48:54 am

Here is the basic enemy, a cyborg arthropod called the plode.
The one on the left is a basic worker plode, which just runs towards you at high speeds once you near it. The one in the middle is the S-plode (yes, I chose the name for that  :yell: ) which does exactly what its name suggests. The yellow thing on the right is the Hunter-killer, the most advanced of plodes, which actually houses a laser machinegun that it fires down at you. There would only be a few of these throughout the entire game.

Offline Jon

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: June 05, 2010, 09:26:20 pm

Here is a full mockup...

Offline alspal

• alastair
    • View Profile
    • My games and things

Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 04:27:20 am
The resolution is a bit big? Makes it look quite empty.

Also, don't mix pixel sizes it looks ugly. The upscaled HUD really doesn't look so nice, or fit with the rest at all.

Offline zez

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 02:36:32 am
I second what alspal said, I would honestly recommend up scaling everything to a 200 zoom, leaving the hud as it is, and the actual screen size around the same, that way everything will look good (that hud will look awful at 1x zoom) and you wont have to worry about large open spaces so much. Its amazing what zooming will do to make caves seem more claustrophobic.

Offline Jon

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: August 03, 2010, 05:41:07 pm
Sorry about the grave-dig, but:

I tried to start from scratch here on the tiles, and I'm also working on a boss (seen to the right). What do you think?