AuthorTopic: Realistic Dither  (Read 2979 times)

Offline Rerg1

• View Profile

Realistic Dither

on: March 28, 2006, 03:26:16 pm
My first real Dither!  :o :o :o
I'm VERY proud of it. I don't think I will try this type as in my Pixel style but it sure was fun  :-*
http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/1702/spkingpixel1xy.png ::)

Offline Aleiav

• I like my coffee black just like my metal.
    • View Profile
    • Gothiclola (dot) Net

Re: Realistic Dither

Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 12:24:55 am
I'm glad you got a hand at dithering for the first time but the face does seem over dithered a tad. I'd say if you want to practice just dithering, backgrounds are really cool to try and make. Then you have room to experiment with different types of dithering without having to necessarily worry to much about lightsources, texture, and realism (to a certain extent you do, but not as much as when you're dithering on a specific object).

Not to discourage you though, keep up the good work.

Offline Rerg1

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 06:31:14 am
thanks  :D. are there any tutorails about dithering you can show me?

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 07:19:24 am
St0ven has a tutorial about dithering here, not sure if it covers all the aspects but I guess good as an introduction.

I dont think dithering is a pixel style but more like a technique to apply in pixel art. Ideally you should use it for applying texture, saving color count, adding different effects, and for stylistic purposes, though the last one is more of a "each to his own" matter (and I believe it shouldnt be abused, and it working better if it aint the only technique you use).
What you did with your picture doesnt really work. Sure it is dithering but doesnt help the picture, it's just there randomly sitting making the picture look rather jagged. The palette you used has colors so close that dithering aint even needed, actually it is almost unnoticeable unless you zoom.

You could go to this thread http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=932.0 and look at some of the pictures posted there and see how they use dithering.

Not meaning to sound harsh, but if you are going to use it wrong, I believe it's better not to use it. Then again you could practice if you are willing to "master" it.

Good luck with further stuff