AuthorTopic: Introducing a new tool: JavaScript-based GIF animation player  (Read 9353 times)

Offline 1ucas

• Prolific procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Toxic Dump

Re: Introducing a new tool: JavaScript-based GIF animation player

Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 04:09:04 pm
A page that shows only the images that are zoomable and are not avatars (this will require the avatars to have an extra CSS class "avatar" I suppose). That way we don't have to look at the banner, buttons, etc.
I did that initially, but the viewer by URL was supposed to be a more general tool, not really exclusive to this site's HTML code. But hey, I can just add a conditional for this domain, that would make sense. This modification is already up, by the way. :)

Being able to do this: [img frame=4]http://url here[/img]
That'd require fiddling with the forum code, which I have no access to. I'm already working on a JavaScript based hotlinking feature that'll work for these purposes, but it can't work unless the script is already embedded in the forum HTML.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 09:30:02 pm
Cool stuff.

Adam and I will see that we can implement this with the next forum update.  :y:
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 05:39:02 am
Would it be possible to make this as a firefox addon?

It'd be awesome to have this available here, but would be even better if you could use this on any website.

Offline 1ucas

• View Profile
    • Toxic Dump

Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 07:07:16 am
Would it be possible to make this as a firefox addon?  It'd be awesome to have this available here, but would be even better if you could use this on any website.
Well, a GIF extension would be much better, but would be specific to Firefox. What you can do is grab the first bookmarklet at the bottom of this page.

It will embed FrameViewer on ANY site, and it'll work through ALL GIF files. This can be really annoying sometimes, because each little GIF icon will end up having the toolbar. This is also rather buggy as it is, because a lot of special positioning in GIF files are not properly handled yet (still working on an universal method for it). In fact, some images will just disappear for some reason. The tool was made for plain inline images, so it works best with those.

The second bookmarklet there will open all GIF files in the viewer page, which will avoid all these problems. I also followed Gil's suggestion, so if you're coming from this site, it'll only grab the zoomable images.

Offline 1ucas

• View Profile
    • Toxic Dump

Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 01:53:21 am
Hey, just want to point out that I just fixed a major issue that made that little form for specific GIF URLs completely useless.  :'( Not sure for how long this problem has been around...
(a big thanks to Hatch over PJ for warning me about it.)

Sorry if anyone has been troubled by it. Things should work as expected now.  :crazy:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 01:59:34 am by 1ucas »