AuthorTopic: [WIP] Ninja Jam platform game mockup  (Read 39875 times)

Offline Stab

• I'M WILLOWS!
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Ninja Jam platform game mockup

Reply #50 on: May 29, 2010, 04:04:47 pm
I betcha 'tis mostly the palette that inspires people to read your sand as water or snow.

Offline SirBilly

• MS Painter
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14358.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #51 on: June 01, 2010, 08:34:32 pm
Wow, this gotta be so much fun making! You got a superb start on something here, if it ever becomes available - where can one find it?

Offline moket

• View Profile
    • human hacks

Reply #52 on: June 22, 2010, 11:01:42 pm
linx <> thanks, I hope to have a playble sand level soon, but the sun is there now, outside shinning :crazy:
Mathias <> I've been stuck doing the brownish tone moods at work. Like most games from those past few years are made. It's quite refereshing to do this but I agree, palette swap is mandatory there, blue isn't the magic solution either.
There's a lot of tweaks to be made, I've been lost in coding, but I feel a bit more comfy now so gameplay will be on the top of my list. It's quite hard to find a proper state of gameplay, enemies and ambushes should balance the thing I guess.
The player definitely lacks charism, I will make some sketches before pushing the pixels and try to give him so storytelling specs. All in all thanks for your critics !
Stab <> yep, animations could help there but palette swap seems to be in for sure.
SirBilly <> thanks a lot ! I will host it, or perhaps a game portal, don't really know. It will be free that's the only thing I can be sure of.

did some work on the menu screen.

and the last level. The tubes could be broken, energy can flow into them and feed the cannons, just wondering there ^^

Offline Ninja Crow

• View Profile

Reply #53 on: June 23, 2010, 08:13:32 am
Terrific shading on the menu temple!  It definitely looks like a very large, distant structure.  I do miss the little chimneys from the first version, though (the smoke coming from them was cool) and the clustered mini-mountains from the second version (especially the lighter ones in the background).

I also think the steam coming off the 'soup bowl' should not look too much like the clouds.  The spiral wisps of steam (as in the second version) look the best, to me.

Those white tubes definitely look like energy that can harm you - do they come on and off so that you have to time your jumps through them?  There looks to be plenty of places in the mockup image where you can put collectibles that would make players have to jump through lots of the sets of tubes (if they wanted to get every collectible in the game, say) which would be great fun.

Thanks for the update, this is one of the most fun indie game projects I've ever been lucky enough to come across - great graphics and cool elements - I love it!

Offline Yami

• View Profile

Reply #54 on: July 03, 2010, 03:35:34 pm
I have nothing to say about the graphics other than I like them. haha Plus everyone else obviously knows what they're talking about so I will leave that part up to them. So I would like to give a small critique on how the game played in hopes to offer you a solution so that the flow of the game is less choppy. I played one of the demos you put up and found myself wanting to speed through the level, because you made the character so fast. Only problem is I can't do this for very long without dieing or running into something. The main reason for this is because the camera does not lead far ahead of the character. An easy solution is to have the camera centered when you are stopped and when you run it begin to lead ahead so the player can see what's coming up next. Now that's assuming you keep the controls the way they are. If you do the camera suggestion then there wouldn't be a flaw within the mechanics. However, if you don't then I suggest you tighten the controls and slow the speed and deceleration down, but I do like the high pace so that's why I hope you fix the camera issue so I can just run through the level in a blaze of glory.  :P

Offline thoughtmachine

• Check out the SSS Indie Video Game Projects
    • View Profile
    • SSS Indie Video Game Projects

Reply #55 on: February 01, 2015, 09:44:13 pm
I realize that is hella old, but I was wondering if you ever finished Ninja Jam and if so where it can be purchased or downloaded.
Check out our upcoming game:
Octo Force: The Paradigm Experiment
http://gamejolt.com/games/adventure/octo-force-the-paradigm-experiment/30126/
Demo available at site!

Offline moket

• View Profile
    • human hacks

Reply #56 on: April 21, 2016, 10:10:27 am
Straight necroposting.
thoughtmachine, never finished it. Couldn't log in the forums so sorry for the late answer.
I might finish it now that there's plenty of easy to use game making tools available !