AuthorTopic: Iso NW Character  (Read 3605 times)

Offline Sabata

• View Profile
    • TownsLife

Iso NW Character

on: April 19, 2010, 01:40:34 pm
After fixing over and over and over I am out of ideas and dont know what to do...

I seem to have trouble with North view of this character, when on rotation it seems a bit shorter than the other? Also I have no idea of what to do with legs and foot, I dont like them right now.

Any C+C appreciated.

General thoughts on it also welcome.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: Iso NW Character

Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 02:38:54 pm
the front view has a nice stance, imho (which reminds me somehow of Astroboy, btw). Maybe instead of attempting to render the same stance from another angle, you could go for another stance when seeing your character from the back. Something more "ambushing/defensive", maybe, with one feet backwards, protecting one's body with one hand and the right arm ready for counter-striking ?

Offline newsomjk

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 12:30:36 am
why would you want to change the whole stance if it's just a change in directions? that's like making mario pose when he's facing left, and ready for action when he's facing right.

Only thing I can think of is maybe make the neck show a bit more in the north facing stance since you can see his back

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 07:51:26 am
why would you want to change the whole stance if it's just a change in directions? that's like making mario pose when he's facing left, and ready for action when he's facing right.
I would if the "dynamism" of the stance works better when viewed from a given angle, or to bring in more variety in the character himself -- a way to "make each frame count", somehow.

that's like making mario pose when he's facing left, and ready for action when he's facing right.
And that could make much sense in a Mario game where scrolling is pushed left-to-right, don't you think ? It's just the lack of ROM space, the flat shading and the availability of hardware flipping that decided otherwise.

That was just a .02€ suggestion, anyway. A sort of "out of the box" thinking.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 10:28:06 am
After fixing over and over and over I am out of ideas and dont know what to do...

I seem to have trouble with North view of this character, when on rotation it seems a bit shorter than the other? Also I have no idea of what to do with legs and foot, I dont like them right now.

If you look closely, he is shorter.  A few pixels, which is a lot.  His rump is a lot lower and his head falls what looks like a row lower as well.  Extending the legs a bit will not only help with this, but to regain the flow of the south view pose.  His back might also be fatter than his chest, which will help make him look shorter.

Pipe - unless the game is specifically tailored such that dirction defines action, it makes no sense to change behaviors based on angle of observation.  It's not hardware that limited this, it's common sense.  The situation doesn't change because he's tunred around, and so long as he's planning the same or similar actions, his pose should be fairly consistent.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.