AuthorTopic: Game Development Questions  (Read 3657 times)

Offline Jorund

• View Profile

Game Development Questions

on: April 18, 2010, 01:36:40 am
Today I got a meeting with some friends about the game we are making, one of the most important topic was communication. Nowadays we handle our work online. All the updates are uploaded via svn, some things are talked via forum and some we do it via Google Wave (because is pretty easy to use and comfortable for showing updates quickly). We also used Trac for sometime, but for some reasons (a ticket wasn't so easy to customize as a Forum's thread or a Google's wave) we stop using it.

My questions are: what do you guys used when you work offsite? How do you talk with your superior/client? How do you handle all the communication and preview of your work?  ???

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Re: Game Development Questions

Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 09:47:06 pm
Try google code, it's pretty nice:

code.google.com

Offline Jorund

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 12:35:24 pm
Any product or resource in particular?
We can't host our project there because is not open source.

Offline pi

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 10:46:42 am
We used GoogleDocs (this was pre wave) and it worked stellar. We also used the built in SVN client/whatever in NetBeans. Yeah, we made the game in Java.... Don't do that.
Try dropbox for resources.

Offline alspal

• alastair
    • View Profile
    • My games and things

Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 06:05:01 am
When I once tried collaborating with another human, we used a dropbox folder to share all the files.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 06:06:40 am by alspal »

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 09:25:21 pm
For communication, I used skype to be part of a couple of webcasts.

For storage, I dunno on that one.

For code, if your still deciding on what to use, I highly recommend checking out the Flixel Api. Tigsource has an up to date tutorial if you want to look at it.

Also, if your making a .swf files, I also recommend swf cabin. I haven't uploaded a file there yet, but it seems pretty easy to use.

I would also check out Flash Develop for an open source code editor. It's highly stable and has an easy interface. Whatever you do, just don't press the windows key+alt+spacebar combo while running it. That gave me the blue screen for some reason.