AuthorTopic: [WIP] [nudity?] Improving my hero sprite: outline, shading and pants  (Read 5110 times)

Offline quackgyver

• I make retro games for astrojone.com.
    • Astrojone
    • Astrojone
    • View Profile
    • Astrojone
Hey there!

I'm currently working on a retro-styled RPG platformer, and this topic is about the hero sprite which I'm hoping to get some help on before I start animating it. I typically don't do pixelart so I've had to rely on quite a bit of reference material, but so far so good. The only problem I'm having is a minor visual complication that I can't seem to iron out, so hopefully you guys will be able to help me!

As you can see I've got a somewhat complete hero sprite on the far left, but I'm not really that happy with the bottom part of his body. I can't seem to get the outlining right and I also can't seem to give the guy a good-looking pair of shorts. I'm partly attributing it to the weird shape of the legs, and partly to the small size of the pelvic region which gives little leeway and requires more skill with coloring and outlining.

I was wondering if anyone would like to take a shot at putting some briefs on the character, and maybe touching it up a bit so I can see what needs to be done? I'm not quite sure what to do from here beyond what I've already done.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 07:07:14 pm by Drule »

Offline quackgyver

• Astrojone
    • Astrojone
    • View Profile
    • Astrojone
Alright, _1ucas helped me improve the sprite a little over IRC. Here's the result with a walking animation.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev
Hi Drule, welcome to the forum.

Shadows are very light, which is necessitating the heavy outlines. Try darkening your shadows and shading (particularly everything above the waist) more in accordance to a light source. Just ask, "where is the lightsource?"

Arms are suffering from noodle syndrome. Look for some basic anatomy reference and structure the arm around the shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand.

With the walking animation, avoid animating only sections of a figure at a time. Animate the entire figure, no detail is really required. Work from keyframe to keyframe (see this).

The character's stance is terribly rigid and back-footed, particularly when walking. Consider the the angle of the spine (primary support structure). The way you have the head back means the spine is being curved back slightly, which drastically shifts the figure's balance. I think if you shifted the head to the right one or two pixels.

Offline quackgyver

• Astrojone
    • Astrojone
    • View Profile
    • Astrojone
Hi!

Sorry about the late reply - I've been busy.

Shadows are very light, which is necessitating the heavy outlines. Try darkening your shadows and shading (particularly everything above the waist) more in accordance to a light source. Just ask, "where is the lightsource?"
How does it necessitate the heavy outlines? Also, do you mean that I should selectively color the outlines in accordance to a lightsource?

Arms are suffering from noodle syndrome. Look for some basic anatomy reference and structure the arm around the shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand.
Could you elaborate on this?

With the walking animation, avoid animating only sections of a figure at a time. Animate the entire figure, no detail is really required. Work from keyframe to keyframe (see this).
Well, it's necessary as the character's limbs are going to be independent of each other in-game, but it's still possible to animate the character in its entirety. I'm actually not completely done with the walking animation - I've only finished the legs so far. Perhaps I should've mentioned this.

The character's stance is terribly rigid and back-footed, particularly when walking. Consider the the angle of the spine (primary support structure). The way you have the head back means the spine is being curved back slightly, which drastically shifts the figure's balance. I think if you shifted the head to the right one or two pixels.
This is true, but I did try to move the head forward before and it looked very strange. Even by one pixel it looked off. Do you have any other suggestions?

Also, keep in mind that the character is going to wear an armor at all times, so perhaps it will look more natural with some heavy equipment on.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post.

Offline Sonja

• View Profile
Something about the ear looks weird to me.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile
Something about the ear looks weird to me.

I think it's that it's so close to the eye.  If it were moved left 1 pixel or even2, would help tremendously IMO
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.