AuthorTopic: [deleted by user]  (Read 6043 times)

Offline Hamburger Prince

• View Profile

[deleted by user]

on: April 05, 2010, 12:57:46 am
[deleted by user]
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 02:18:32 am by Hamburger Prince »

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Re: Toe Socks (first pixel art, C&C welcome)

Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 01:05:31 am
i

there's really nothing to say about this, you just pretty much said that none of this is actually pixel art

Offline Hamburger Prince

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 01:08:30 am
[deleted by user]
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 02:18:45 am by Hamburger Prince »

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 01:10:41 am
This was traced
not doing this

I moved the original scaled-down image to the top layer and used "value" blending mode
or this

for something to truly be pixel art, you need to have full control over the placement of every pixel

also, just for shits and giggles, say this WAS 100% hand-made, you have barely any contrast between shades, it looks like you still haven't started shading until you zoom in even further than you have it

Offline Hamburger Prince

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 01:26:58 am
[deleted by user]
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 02:18:56 am by Hamburger Prince »

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 01:41:09 am
but I'm only interested in the pixel art style--not the pixel art lifestyle.
stopped here and started laughing too hard to go on

done with this thread, peace

Offline Hamburger Prince

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 01:48:52 am
[deleted by user]
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 02:19:44 am by Hamburger Prince »

Offline 1ucas

• Prolific procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Toxic Dump

Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 02:00:28 am
Well, this website is subtitled "WAY OF THE PIXEL". We're very keen on discussing the WAY you do pixel art. To us, it is a method, it is an art form on itself. You're trying to cheat a pixelated effect and you seem to have no interested in the methods we use to create that effect. I'm not really sure what we can do to help you. And even if we did, we would probably feel too dirty.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 02:03:16 am by 1ucas »

Offline Chis

• My name does not have an r
    • View Profile
    • o'er at pixeljoint

Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 02:06:32 am
Hey guys, I think Hamburger is genuinely confused, so try to be more understanding.
I guess you're going for the look rather than the practice; in that case I don't know whether this place is right for your purposes. Pixel art is more about refining - not starting with the pixels, but ending with them. You manipulating the colors with the value blend layer would be just as you said it: cheating :P A pixel artist would go in there with the zoom function and work everything out by hand. Also I can see a bunch of shades that are almost identical to each other save for minimal differences in value. With pixel art generally you want to minimize the colors that you're using; in your case, just 4 colors would be fine. This is an awful analogy but I guess you could call it the difference between homemade cookies and store-bought cookies ::)

Offline zez

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 02:10:48 am
If Im working on a higher resolution piece, I usually scan it in at some ungodly resolution, use illustrator (or some other close analog, I recommend a program called pencil if your lookin for something free and easy that will do the job,) trace all the lines with vectors, then take just the vectors, downscale them to whatever the final size will be, turn off anti aliasing, and save it as a png, then go through and make minor adjustments to the lines on a pixel by pixel basis, and proceed to shade with the pencil and fill tools. I think the end result of that is still pixel art, as even though at one point or another I was tracing, and at one point or another it was in vectors, it still ends up as the same thing.
That being said, You really cant get away with using things like value blending, as you just dont have the right amount of control over the colors you use. Your piece has an ungodly amount of almost identical shades of any given color, but it does nothing to create depth, and although you CAN do that with value blending and setting the contrasts of the colors correctly (way higher, in your case, as it looks flat,) you will still end up with an unnecessary amount of extra shades being used, and far less control over the overall product.
In other words, there is a happy medium between placing every pixel by hand at 800% zoom in msPaint, and working from drawings (or even stock photo's, I guess...) and at times, it is simply not feasible to do everything by hand (Like say, if you are actually working on a game, and need hundreds of different sprites with a variety of animations, or are working on a large piece,) my way is by no means the correct one, but working with a bunch of fancy shading tools will ultimately be more of a handicap then an advantage.

>_>... Id also look here ->http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/tutorials/tuts/tsugumo/

Oh, and hopefully this wont start a flame war, Im pretty sure I made 1ups list myself. ::)

Offline Aimsworth

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 02:15:42 am
 ??? ... Hamburger Prince ... I was going to launch into a big rant here... but the General Rules and FAQs cover just about everything you have asked for here.

I'm just going to hope you're not trying to troll anyone here and ask that you read both (yes, they are actually very informative and should cover what you are missing here)...

Then come back to the topic here and see if you don't have a new perspective on things.  If you still don't get it, maybe this place isn't for you.   :)

If you really are still interested, there are a ton of tutorials in the Tools, Resources and Linkage thread.

Offline Hamburger Prince

• View Profile

Re: [deleted by user]

Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 02:19:22 am
Oh give me a fucking break.

I've just stepped in a big pile of groupthink, and I am getting the fuck out of here.

Offline Aimsworth

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 02:27:14 am
Well... that actually ended better than I thought!   :D

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 02:37:24 am
huh I missed this whole thing. I agree this seems to have been handled well though, cudos. Don't mind if I lock this though.