AuthorTopic: Grass [wip]  (Read 17390 times)

Offline freespyryt

• View Profile

Re: Grass [wip]

Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 01:06:10 am
Oh shoot! good call. How is this?

Offline Jakerpot

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 05:37:49 am
Better! But it still looks kind of 'flat' for me :x

Maybe some more saturated colors would be great. Play around with contrast and saturation until you think it's fine ;)

That's what i've got in a quick edit:

Sometimes when you work too much with less-satured colors, your eyes get used to them. And when you compare these colors with more satured ones, the first group of colors will look much boring and flat.

Thats what happen if you look too much to your tiles (if you play a game with them for example, you will get used to them and not bother with it). Now try to compare with my version. Got the point?? ;)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 05:48:03 am by Jakerpot »

Offline freespyryt

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 06:21:59 pm
So I edited it a bit. I didn't go *quite* as saturated as you did, simply because my character started to get a little lost. But I got pretty close, and you're absolutely right...my old one looks like it was covered with a film of dust.  I probably should have  been paying more attention to that  :crazy: Anyways! Thanks to your valuable help:
There it is!

Offline Jakerpot

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 07:35:54 pm
Now it is pretty awesome  ;D

Offline freespyryt

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 01:42:36 am
Thank you so much! Your advice was invaluable , so glad to have it looking better.  :)

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 02:03:17 am
Hey freespyryt, good effort so far!

But now the character sprite is incredibly dissonant. His palette is murky compared to the brighter grass tiles. There's also major grounding issues, give him a shadow.

Offline Jakerpot

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010, 03:59:32 am
I've noticed that there is a tile that looks strange... You should add more detail to the bush background, so it would fit with the other tiles. The tile feel like it is on a closed box  :-X

Offline Kælaar

• A life without Creativity is a life wasted.
    • View Profile
    • Kælaars Artstuffz

Reply #27 on: May 01, 2010, 12:25:15 pm
Give him a shadow =P that will make it look less out of place. also the angles are all off, the character looks like he's laying down on the grass to me =/.
also, the grass could be a little darker, looks kind of bright compared to the character. just my opinions though.
goodluck!
Kælaar
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 12:29:24 pm by Kælaar »

Offline Jakerpot

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: May 01, 2010, 09:54:47 pm
Could you please post the updated tiles??? I would like to make some changes for you  :)

Offline freespyryt

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: May 03, 2010, 07:11:27 am
Mathias: I realized the shadow was a problem. I was wondering if I should add a shadow to the sprite, and I guess I should at least try it out. Who knows? Maybe it won't look half bad! But I agree about the murkiness...I was trying to make him look all rough and explorer like, so i didn't want him to be all happy and cheery in his attire choice, and also I don't want him and the grass to be too bright together. So I guess I'll be playing around with that some more.
Jakerpot: Here are those tiles: And also, just a side note with that, it has the road I made in there. so feel free all of you to take a look at that!
That tile is actually bigger than just those leaves, but I'll try adding more depth/detail to that tile and see if that helps it look less...strange.
Kaelaar: I'm attempting to make the grass darker without making it too dull, but I'll have to see what it looks like with the sprite on top of it and it being a little darker.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 07:17:26 am by freespyryt »