AuthorTopic: Website redesign  (Read 8775 times)

Offline JaJitsu

• View Profile
    • JaJitsu.com

Re: Website redesign

Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 04:56:30 pm
I actually think the old one has more character. Perhaps work more with that style, but expand upon it?

specifically what aspects of the original do you like?

Offline Mabelma

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 05:47:30 pm
I think it's the amount of the detail you could fit to the original ones. Look at the character on the back, I can tell from all that detail that his a traveler of some sort but the only thing I can tell from the new one is that well his a guy with a scarf, that's about it. Try to add a little more detail into them, give more character to the new ones. I like the style on the new ones but they new more character. I hope you get what I mean.

Offline JaJitsu

• View Profile
    • JaJitsu.com

Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 03:45:17 am
some updates.

i put Jables in front of the sign, redid the title, and added back in the ladder.

Alternate with brush facing up

Offline skamocore

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/10442.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 08:41:09 am
Hey,

Looking nice, but maybe as Setzer said, increase the size of the signs. I know you are displaying this in 2x, but even at that size they're probably still a bit too small. Remember that the signs/buttons are probably the most important part of your interface - you want people to notice them and click them.

Also, perhaps consider using an extra AA colour for the "JaJitsu" text, some parts are looking extremely jaggy, especially in the Js. Same could go for the clouds too, but I don't think they're as noticeable or important.

Personally, I think the colours could use a bit of work. Currently, it is looking a bit drab and washed out. I've made a colour edit:

In fact, rather than looking at my sloppy colour edit, why not have a look at OwlBoy:

Offline Tobe

• www.rayteoactive.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
    • Rayteoactive

Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 01:31:13 pm
Hey :) Didn't realize you're here too.

The new looks better, but like someone above mentioned, it has less style. but it's about done now, so I assume you gonna change it anyway, lol. Also, I prefer the jajitsu sign in the "original new" artwork. Hope that's not too confusing.

Offline Photocopier

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 04:12:08 pm
two things;
I think the paint should be dripping a little on the sign
I don't really like the top left and top right corners on the tileset, I'd consider making the grass overlap there more maybe.

Offline JaJitsu

• View Profile
    • JaJitsu.com

Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 06:25:28 pm
@Tobe Hey bro! and yeah I agree for the signs but i just hate the old characters and tile set.
"I prefer the jajitsu sign in the "original new" artwork. Hope that's not too confusing." I don't understand

@photo I actually tried that at first but it looked bad. maybe somebody better could pull it off. I can't though, haha.
hm.. yeah maybe i should overlap the grass. ill try it later but for now it looks good to me.

thanks everyone for the help!
sorry i couldn't make everyone happy but the site is up and ready!
www.jajitsu.com

check it out!

Offline Jorund

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 07:06:16 pm
"I prefer the jajitsu sign in the "original new" artwork. Hope that's not too confusing." I don't understand

He meant this one was better (the top one):

I agree with him, the actual JaJitsu sign has way too much aa. It looks messy.
The rest is excelent. I mean, like some of my teachers said: "there are some things that are never finish". In other words, maybe its not perfect but it looks great  :)

Offline JaJitsu

• View Profile
    • JaJitsu.com

Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 07:59:01 pm
ohhh. Yeah i liked that one too but it looked weird having a thick outline while the rest of the site had no outlines.

Offline Jorund

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 08:05:43 pm
ohhh. Yeah i liked that one too but it looked weird having a thick outline while the rest of the site had no outlines.

What about removing the outline, but just keeping some kind of drop shadow?
It's the logo, it doesn't need to have the same characteristics of the rest of the web. Maybe you could use some dark brown for it, insted of a pure black.
I don't know. The logo is a very important part of the website and the one you leave isn't well defined. I think the simpler version looked better.