AuthorTopic: [WIP] Walking hunter  (Read 6846 times)

Offline freespyryt

• View Profile

[WIP] Walking hunter

on: March 21, 2010, 08:33:59 pm
As some of you may know I've been working on this hunter for a game. I've recently started doing animations for it. I think he looks a little...off? And i can't figure out why, more so on the side view than the front view.
Front View Animation: Current:
Side view animation: Current:
My boyfriend pointed out that in the front view he looks like he's running, but in the side view he looks like he's "creeping". I can't figure out why that is, and I've tried editing a lot of stuff. Also, he just generally looks kind of off to me. I don't know. C&C is appreciated! Thanks for the help!  :)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 05:48:30 pm by freespyryt »

Offline Kidfrommars

• My location? It's kinda obvious..
    • View Profile
    • RPG Land

Re: [WIP] Walking hunter

Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 08:40:17 pm
The side view looks like it's bigger then the front view, which is kind of odd. And in the front view, the character's hair moves but his face and eyes stay in generally the same pose. Maybe if made the hair move less, or if you shifted the character's goggles a little, it would look better.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 11:46:41 pm
In the front running animation, it looks like he is hanging from a wire and swinging. I mean, his belt doesn't move at all, he doesn't go up or down, etc.

The side view is just someone throwing his limbs in multiple directions.

Most of the time when these things happen, it's because of incorrect workflow. Show us how you work in detail and we'll show you where exactly you're going wrong. We can help you fix these, but there will be problems with the next unless you fix your way of approaching animation. Animation is 90% construction.

For now, look up animations from other games and let them play out next to yours. Watch what happens in both and compare.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 12:20:57 am

VERY useful copypasta! Read the text carefully. Do start out with the kinds of clear poses in frame 1 and 7 when you animate and then make inbetweens - even if it's a walk and not a run it's gotta help

Edit: super-duper copypasta made by ptoing, so send your regards and love letters and chocolate and mail bombs towards his general direction
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 03:42:03 pm by Jad »
' _ '

Offline freespyryt

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 03:11:56 am
Thanks all for the help! I haven't changed up the front animation yet...except the belt. I changed the belt. But for the side view:
Thank you Jad! That was super helpful! However I'm still having some trouble...he looks really choppy but I tried adding extra animations and it didn't seem to help out.
New Side View:
It looks less like he's swapping feet and more like he's running, I think. And the new front view:

I also tried to edit the size to try and keep them about the same..hopefully it worked out.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 03:13:42 am by freespyryt »

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 04:35:54 am
The down-walking sprite still seems to have too much energy in his arm swings.I suggest working on reducing the back swing more than the front -- when the arms go back, try keeping them closer to the body. I also suggest trying to keep the shoulders down a little more.

I get what you were trying to do with the hair, but it just seems to take away, in my opinion. Instead of mirroring it, maybe try altering the shape so that it bounces a little with his step?

<Jad's copypasta>

I'm saving that image. What an incredibly-useful reference!  :D

Offline freespyryt

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 07:01:11 am
I tried  to make the arms and hair look a lot more natural with the body movement, but moving the arms in and down.
update: And I re-shaded the hair.

Offline freespyryt

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 02:55:53 am
Here's what I think I'm going for with the Side view:

Constructice C&C welcome!
I'm mostly happy with the whole thing, although the belt to me looks kind of funky and I can't figure out why...any suggestions?

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 08:15:52 am
[off topic] Holy Jeezuz that copypasta is awesome  :o!!![/off topic]

its looking decent getting more dynamic, but one thing thats bothering me i think the head is 1px too far forward, quick edit:

and while editing i noticed a lot of inconsistencies in the shading they may have been attempts at lighting and movement dynamics but on a sprite that small that type of detail isn't needed and just looks messy, the hair needs more dynamics applied, the hair in the front view seems effective at glance maybe mimic that.

and the palette O: 101 colours? and only 24 used. what program are you using? in GIMP 2 clicks and its culled back to 24. and adding colours can be done in a click so having open slots for colours is irrelevant.

the front view looks better in the latest iteration too still looks like strong strides but would possibly fit as running or walking if the speed was adjusted in game.

oh and the belt looks a bit bright, especially in the latest frontal view it looks a little like a hoola-hoop or a floating gold flute he is chasing after ???  ie floating in front of the character not around its waist you should keep it synced with the sprite's movement and keep the shading of it consistent across frames,

hope that helps

I'm interested to see how the overall look and perspective of the environment comes out once you get to that stage.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 10:46:05 am
It still has issues with the hand hanging in the same place for two frames and then instantly snapping to its next position. You will want to even that out - same goes for his bouncy motion going back and forth, that'll just make his walk seem uneven and jerky when it's put into actual sidewards moving motion.
' _ '