AuthorTopic: Cog - C&C  (Read 3411 times)

Offline Bkeegan

• View Profile
    • FrozenOrange

Cog - C&C

on: March 16, 2010, 10:34:36 pm
Ok, I know this is neither exciting or excellent pixel art but I could use a critique at my attempt of a cog here.

Feedback is greatly appreciated =)

-BK
Images posted under this account are property of Frozen Orange, inc unless stated otherwise

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Re: Cog - C&C

Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 11:20:32 pm
Hum! Is it going to be animated? That'd help me with what kind of crits to give.

Also with the shading you've given it it seems really round, like a ball, almost, is that the intention? Also, looking good, I can see you're getting to know those pixels. I think working with fewer colors would've helped you in THIS stage, although I'm fine with the end result having this sort of palette, cause I can love me a multitude of colors and smoothness O:
' _ '

Offline Bkeegan

• View Profile
    • FrozenOrange

Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 11:31:17 pm
Yes, it will be eventually animated. I wanted to nail the shape/shading first before I went thru animating it. I actually did a few frames but then I ended up resizing the teeth so I'll have to redo that.
The old teeth were wider and I estimated with that I could get a smooth animation in about 4-5 frames so I think this might take 5-6 frames. I suppose I could do a "classic" animation in about 2 frames =p

I tried to keep the number of colors down but I ended up getting some nasty color banding. This one has a total of 13 colors.

Yeah I was shooting for a sort of rounded top. I don't have a reference photo as I was working from imagination.

Oh and this one I did on my brand new monitor. I definitely noticed a lot more when I was looking at some of my previous work. My old monitor was a 7 year old CRT =p
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 11:48:01 pm by Bkeegan »
Images posted under this account are property of Frozen Orange, inc unless stated otherwise

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 01:17:08 am
Well, the nice thing with the color banding (not pixel edge banding, I suppose, which is a very pixelation-centered term) is how it actually makes the different clusters of color clear to you during construction, which makes them easy to control and easy to smooth out in a pleasant fashion when you feel you've come to that point! : D Jus sayin!
' _ '